Author Topic: divorce date  (Read 1132 times)

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
divorce date
« on: Saturday 21 October 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any idea how to find the date ( or even year) of a divorce in Liverpool? I dont know if it actually took place in Liverpool, but both parties lived there.
 I know it was somewhere between 1881 and 1897 because both parties are listed in the 1881 census and the husband remarried in 1897!
Can anyone advise me?
Many thanks
Cecile

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: divorce date
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
The real issue is whether there was a divorce at all. Before 1939 divorce was so expensive that only the wealthy could afford to divorce. Simple desertion and a bigamous "marriage" were more common. But if the husband remarried in 1897 was his previous spouse dead - or does she still appear in the 1901 census under her married name?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the quick reply. The couple in question were wealthy people. He owned a big business in Liverpool - I think it was called Frasers plumbers and painters merchants- and he owned a great deal of property in Liverpool. On his second marriage certificate it lists him as being divorced. I cant find his first wife anywhere so whether she died after the divorce or returned to her maiden name, I dont know.
Many thanks
Cecile

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 October 06 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Cecile,

Since it says he was divorced then you may be in luck.  Have a look at this thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,182030.0.html

and this one

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,156126.0.html

which may help you.

Local Newspapers are also a good source.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cecile

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 October 06 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for your help. I'll try these that you have mentions and see how I go on!
Thanks again
Cecile