Author Topic: LAMYMAN - Tattershall, Lincs  (Read 10228 times)

Offline purplemoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LAMYMAN - Tattershall, Lincs
« on: Saturday 21 October 06 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone have any connections to the LAMYMAN/LAMMYMAN family in the Tattershall areas of Lincolnshire?

My 2x Gt Grandmother was Elizabeth LAMMYMAN b.1875 in Redcar, Yorkshire (North Riding?) and she married William Watson MELLOR b.1870 in Wakefield, at Huddersfield, where the family then settled until present date.

Her father was George LAMMYMAN b.1845 Tattershall and married Maria CHAPMAN b.1854 Tattershall, although I've yet to locate marriage records for them.

George appears to have broken away from the family and is the only one to spell LAMMYMAN with the "double M" which has followed on through his family, and has proved difficult to track down on 1861 and 1871 censuses.

I know he was in the Tattershall area 1870-1872, where his first two children Mary A and George were born, and in Redcar 1875-1877 where Elizabeth and her brother James were born. I found the family later in Leeds on the 1881 census, where he was working as a farm labourer, and then in Huddersfield in 1891, where their fifth child William was born.

George's father was Cammack LAMYMAN b.1809 at Haven Bank, near Tattershall and he married a Martha ?? b. c1814 at Haltham. They had 8 children that I have found so far, all born in the Coningsby area. They also named a son Cammack, who in turn named one of his son's the same ... where does that name come from? I've never come across it before.

In 1851 Cammack was a dreyman at a brewery but by 1861 he was a widower and a Cottager of 5 acres!! I'm wondering if this might have been inherited from someone, as they don't appear to be a very affluent family, although two of his other sons are employers, one as a builder and the other is a wheelwright.

If anyone can help me fill in some of the missing pieces, or point me to where I can find more information about the family that would be great, as I've only just started working on this line and Lincolnshire is a rather alien place for me! :)

PS I've found that quite a few of the Coningsby/Tattershall censuses haven't listed addresses for any of the families, just a file number in the first column, does anyone know why? ... and also on a couple I've seen they recorded the surname before given name, quite extraordinary compared to the numerous other censuses I have seen from around the country!
Baker, Thompson, Lomas, Ikin - Middlewich, Cheshire; (Baker) Stockton, Durham
Fradley, Hall, Weaver, Pargeter - Stone, Staffordshire; Middlewich, Cheshire
McGuin, Gallagher, Bogan, McKew - Huddersfield, Bradford, Yorkshire; Nottingham; Bacup, Rochdale, Lancashire; Ireland
Mellor, Lammyman, Pearson - Huddersfield, Dewsbury, Wakefield, Hull, Yorkshire
Connelley, Little, Walker, Starkey - Cleckheaton, Dewsbury, Bradford, Yorkshire; Co Monaghan, Ireland

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LAMYMAN - Tattershall, Lincs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 October 06 12:57 BST (UK) »
CAMMACK is a Lincs surname

http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Map.aspx?name=CAMMACK&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name

as is LAMYMAN

http://www.spatial-literacy.org/UCLnames/Map.aspx?name=LAMYMAN&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name

Re "Cottager":  I have an ancestor who was variously Cottager, Farmer, AgLab.  When his daughter married after his death, she simply described him as "Labourer".  As far as I can tell, they lived in the same house for 30 or 40 years but his stated occupation kept changing.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grt Grandfather David Benjamin Redding 1st left
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 06 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
I dont have much information for you but I recall my late father talking about the Lammyman family, they lived where he did near Tattersall. Dad lived in Billinghay fen, before moving to Tattershall road.
In the 1880s There was a Lammyman family living in Anwick nr Sleaford, actually next door to my ancestors (Jacksons)

In relation to the "cottager" occupation, I too had many relatives who at some point were Cottagers of XXX acres, I think it meant they lived in a tied cottage and farmed so many acres. as my relatives toowould not be able to afford that amount of land,

regards
Linda
London / Middlesex - Redding, Gazzard, Tampling, Wickings, Hicks, Burgess, Brooke, Pink, Tofft / Toft Dawson, Hosling, Hunter
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore
Lincolnshire - Jackson, Watson, Holmes, Smith, Winter, Renshaw,Banks, Dobson, Cawdron, Cox , Scott,

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

From IGI

Marriage
Cammick Lamyman
Martha White
6 Dec 1832-Haltham upon Bain Lincolnshire

Joe
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline purplemoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for your replies :)

I have found quite a few Lamymans living in and around Anwick, which isn't very far from Tattershall/Coningsby areas when I checked the map, and I think they may well be related to my lot with Samuel LAMYMAN possibly being a brother or cousin of my eldest Cammack LAMYMAN. Both families had lots of children in the early 1800's so there are definitely lots of them about!

I hadn't considered that they could have been tenant farmers rather than landowners, but that makes a lot of sense actually when I think about it, thanks!

I've done some more digging around since I posted and managed to find some more census details for some of them and found Cammack senior as a lone widower in 1881 with a live-in nurse as he was paralysed. Would he have paid for this nurse himself?

I also checked the IGI index and found several christening records for some of their children, but rather strangely they were all christened on the same day but were aged 13-19 years old! I also found a similar occurence with another Lamyman family around the same time, Joseph and Rebecca (whom I'm guessing were related to Cammack senior) whereby they had a "bulk christening" for several of their children. Was this normal practice?

McGuin, Gallagher, Bogan, McKew - Huddersfield, Bradford, Yorkshire; Nottingham; Bacup, Rochdale, Lancashire; Ireland
Connelley, Little, Walker, Starkey - Cleckheaton, Dewsbury, Bradford, Yorkshire; Co Monaghan, Ireland

Offline purplemoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 October 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

From IGI

Marriage
Cammick Lamyman
Martha White
6 Dec 1832-Haltham upon Bain Lincolnshire

Joe

Hi Joe

I did actually find that last night when I was checking the IGI but thanks very much for posting the info :)

Offline Jayne

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grt Grandfather David Benjamin Redding 1st left
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi
The liklihood is that Cammack would ahve paid for the nurse himself, at that time there was no NHS and care was a private paid matter.

Just to confirm that Anwick is about 6miles from Tattershall, I know this as all my family on dads side came from Anwick and lived through to Tattershall

regards
Linda
London / Middlesex - Redding, Gazzard, Tampling, Wickings, Hicks, Burgess, Brooke, Pink, Tofft / Toft Dawson, Hosling, Hunter
Kent - Burgess, Muchmore
Lincolnshire - Jackson, Watson, Holmes, Smith, Winter, Renshaw,Banks, Dobson, Cawdron, Cox , Scott,

Offline purplemoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 06 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
The liklihood is that Cammack would ahve paid for the nurse himself, at that time there was no NHS and care was a private paid matter.

I wonder how he would have been able to afford this then, unless members of the family contributed toward it. I remember reading somewhere that sometimes the Poor Union gave assistance to people in their own homes but I'm not sure that would extend to providing a live-in nurse.

Offline Tal

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Cammack's father is my granddad x several.  I have a record of all the Lamymans of whatever spelling who have lived in Lincolnshire.  My own family came from Tattershall then moved to Anwick where we had the farm at Anwick Fen.   I know how the Cammack name and the Hilton name came into the family etc - is there anything specific you would like to know?  I've got Sam's will (you mentioned Sam) and I've got a photograph of Sam and his family plus his siblings all lined up outside the old farmhouse at Scrub Hill, taken in 1872 on his sixtieth birthday - its in monochrome but one of the ladies coloured in the ladies' frocks by hand (in 1872).   By coincidence the Anwick Fen farmhouse is up for sale now, the last time anybody will see it because its going to be demolished - several of us have just been to look round it again.  I know which houses all the Lamymans lived in at Anwick Fen, including the ones now demolished down the Black Drove.     The Martha you are after was Martha White, she was born in 1814 in Haltham and died in 1851, buried 21 Sept 1851 at Coningsby, her and Cammack married 6th Dec 1832 at Haltham.  Whoever wrote up his christening record showed him christened as "Cammocks", a spelling seen for his mother on earlier records, on 20th May 1807 at Coningsby.  He was  born at Haven Bank.  The Lamyman who initially took the land at Haven Bank/Scrub Hill was John, he brought his family down from Withern/South Reston.  I've an idea your George lived at  at Lane Side, Churwell, York at one time.   George didn't leave a will, neither did his father but his, Cammack's, father did and I have a copy if you want.