Author Topic: Macintosh Browser Programs  (Read 1913 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Macintosh Browser Programs
« on: Sunday 22 October 06 19:14 BST (UK) »
Mac user since OS 6.  Since OS 9 i have been using Geditcom.  I now run a new imac with 10.4.5 still using Geditcom.  I also have Mac Family Tree, but i prefer Geditcom, it has a more tuneable interface and loads of ability to personalise.  I havent experienced any problems with it , although it was perhaps a bit tricky to get used to.  But once your over that initial 'getting to know you' period its fine. 

I noticed a discussion in the Rootschat technical section re. browsers.  It does seem that even though Macs are becoming more poular, there are still certain sites out there, that mac users are having trouble accessing.  So Safari cannot be relied upon to access all sites, it would seem that having Firefox on board as well is a useful addition.  Is that other mac users experience?

purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh OS X Genealogy software
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 October 06 19:44 BST (UK) »
So Safari cannot be relied upon to access all sites, it would seem that having Firefox on board as well is a useful addition.  Is that other mac users experience?

Yep, I find Firefox much better than Safari. Though there are also some sites, such as British Origins, that still need Internet Explorer – so keeping access to IE is useful, too!

One great benefit I've found with Firefox is that when clicking through a long list of BMD entries to open them up in new window, Firefox marks which entry you've just opened. Safari didn't do this, and it was a nightmare trying to remember where you'd got to!

Jane

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh OS X Genealogy software
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 October 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
well Jane, on your recommendation,  i have down-loaded the latest version of Firefox and shall test drive it. 

The only problems i have experienced with Sari was not being able to acces a particular financial site.  I had the same problem with I.E.  The thing i dont like about I.E is the size.

purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh Browser Programs
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 October 06 21:53 BST (UK) »
Let us know how you get on, Purlin. I had quite a few access problems with Safari, and it was also much slower than Firefox – but perhaps that's just my Mac. For what it's worth, I haven't used Safari once since downloading Firefox.

Hope Firefox lives up to my recommendation – but if it doesn't, at least it's free!

Jane

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 October 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
I'm the same as Miss Marple...haven't touched Safari since downloading Firefox when it was still a Beta version.
Also have never had to use IE again either - even with British Origins I've not had a problem with Firefox.
Prue

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 November 06 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Well, Firefox has proved to be the answer in accessing those tricky financial sites.  In fact, i havent found a site yet it couldnt access. I havent been won over entirlley yet, but it's happening.  Safari loads quicker for me than Firefox, although that's not a huge problem.  I think the more i use it, the more it will grow on me. But the really big plus is not having to use IE at all now and i am really pleased about that because its such a large package.

So Jane, its a definate goer.

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 November 06 09:08 GMT (UK) »

Mac user since OS 6.

Ah, them were the days!  ;) 

I am another satisfied Firefox user, although I keep IE, Safari and Opera in case I come across a page which won't display properly. Today I've downloaded Camino to try it out. It's not bad - it is Mac-only, has tabs and uses Mozilla's Gecko engine, but it apparently has some issues with RealPlayer and doesn't support Media Player.

I'll stick with Firefox as my default browser.

Cheers
K.
:)

Edited to add: A nice touch in Camino is that as well as blocking popup windows, there is a 'Block web advertising' which seems to knock out a few of the adverts on some pages, espescially those using Flash. I'm getting to quite like it!  ;D
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile