Author Topic: 1871 Census; Liscard; Nurse Child?  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1871 Census; Liscard; Nurse Child?
« on: Monday 23 October 06 18:34 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to trace one of my grandfather's relatives and possibly found him listed in the Cheshire Census, 1871, Liscard as a one year old and listed as a "nurse child"
Allow me to give some details
1871 Liscard, Cheshire
Edward Davies, head   40,  Commissioned Laborer
Margaret Davies, wife  44
John Chadwick  boarder   age 6
George E. Manson  age 1   "nurse child", b. Liscard

George E. Manson, I believe, was the son of George H. Manson (born 1840, Scotland) and Margaret Manson, nee Barrow (born 1839, Wrexham, Denbigh).   George H. and Margaret Barrow Manson were married in 1864 and their marriage was recorded in Birkenhead.   George H. Manson in the 1881 census was listed as a mariner and living then in Toxteth Park, Lancashire.    However I can find no mention of George H. and Margaret Manson in the 1871 census.
I was wondering whether George H. Manson being a mariner might have been out at sea and had his wife Margaret traveling with him.   And if they decided to board the baby, George E. Manson, age 1 with the family of Edw and Margaret Davies as a "nurse child"?
I imagine many seafaring men of England missed the 1871 census because they were at sea.   If so was any tabulation made of these men for the census records?
Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Best regards,
Bob Croman
Plano, TX

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census; Liscard; Nurse Child?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 October 06 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I couldn't find George H. on the 1871 census  either but I did find an entry for -

Margaret Mansen  visitor  married  age 33 sailor/tailor's ?wife   born Wales

I'm not sure whether it says sailor or tailor. I had a look at other words beginning with 's' e.g. sister,scholar,son,servant on the page(and the previous page). If you have access to the 1871 it may be worth a look to see what you think. It's a possibility as everything else seems to fit. Please let me know if you don't have access to the 1871 census. The reference is  RG10/3786.

Margaret Mansen is a visitor at the house of a family called Broomhead. A Thomas Parker is also there. The address is 45 Nile Street Liverpool.

On the 1881 census some of the girls from the Broomhead family are living in the Toxteth Park area also.

Hope this might help

Regards 

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 October 06 23:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this lead.   I can get the 1871 census through  our local library or our local LDS and will probably have a look on Tuesday.    If indeed the notation is "sailor's wife", then it is conceivable that George Manson was out to sea making a living for the family.

Many thanks,
Bob Croman

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 14:44 BST (UK) »
I just got the marriage registration from GRO for George Henry Manson and Margaret Barrow (Nov 1864) , parish church, Wallasey (sp?); and interestingly the two witnesses listed were Ann Barrow (Margaret's sister) and Edward Davi(e)s.   This Edward Davi(e)s, I imagine is the 1871 head of household for which the child George E(dward) Manson, age 1, is listed as a nurse child.   In short, I suspect that Edward Davi(e)s of Liscard is either a relation or a close friend.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 14:55 BST (UK) »
Well done, that does seem confirmation. 

I looked at the image and couldn't find any capital T's on the image, but turning to the next page there are a couple of Thomas and the T is written differently.  So the word does look like Sailor, imho ..... what's so humble about me?  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Neptune

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again Bob

The information on the marriage certificate does seem to prove you have the correct George E. Manson. They could be friends or relations as you said, as Edward Davies was also born in North Wales(Mold) The marriage is also in the Cheshire BMD site - the church is St Hilary's Wallasey.
I'll send you a personal message if you would like to check your e-mails

MaryA - it's sometimes worth trying variations on the spelling so I had a go with Mansan and Mansen just in case. I wish I was as fortunate with my own!!

Regards

Neptune
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 22:29 BST (UK) »

MaryA - it's sometimes worth trying variations on the spelling so I had a go with Mansan and Mansen just in case. I wish I was as fortunate with my own!!

Asterisks do come in useful a lot don't they **************  ;D ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Robert B. Croman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 18:29 GMT (UK) »
In searching through the Wrexham (Denbighshire) Westlayan Methodist records, I happened upon a couple Samuel Davies of Broughton and wife Ann, daughter of Thomas and Martha Barrow who had several children tabulated.    I am just wondering whether the witness Edward Davies on the GRO marriage record for George Mansen and Ann Barrow (mentioned previously above) might not be a son of this Samuel and Ann (nee Barrow) Davies.   If so then the bride Ann Barrow Mansen and the witness Edward Davies would be first cousins and that would account for the 1871 census listing of the 1 year old George E. Mansen as a "nurse child" in the Liscard household of Edward and Margaret Davies.   [Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but might be a possibility].
As a point for other researchers with Wrexham, Denbighshire connections, the baptismal records of the Wrexham Westlayan Methodist Chapel are amazing in that they give the names of the parents as well as the names of the maternal grandparents.    Wouldn't it be great if all church records gave that much info.

Best regards,
Bob Croman
Plano,TX

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 November 06 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Bob
I wish i had seen this posting earlier,i could have printed the marriage cert out for you,on the machine for 10 pence ;)or any other year up up to 1865.Thats what i do ;D Then with  copies of the original if it is the right one you can send to the G.R.O for their copy.If it isn't well you save yourself £7 ;D Recently i found (through another rootschatter)that a marriage cert  for 1866 (not St Hilary)that i had obtained from the G.R.O. Had been mistranscribed from the original,So for two years my G.G.Grandfather had been married to the wrong lady. No wonder i hit a brick wall :(  So these printouts are very handy things to have from St Hilary.As you can see i have all marriages in the index from 1782.

Celia           
P.S. I haven't indexed the 1840/50 marriages yet but have them from June 1865 on File

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885