Author Topic: Marriage or death of Richard COWL b. 1749 St. Dominick  (Read 1919 times)

Offline AnjiM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage or death of Richard COWL b. 1749 St. Dominick
« on: Tuesday 24 October 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to identify the father of and the burial of one of my ancestors but have come up against a bit of a brick wall.

There are two Richard Cowl/Cowles baptised in St Dominick around the time that I'm interested.  Richard Cowl baptised 29 May 1749, son of Richard and Richard Cowle baptised 22 Mar 1750/51 son of Mathew.

The Richard Cowle I'm interested in married Catherine Skelton in St Dominick on 11 Dec 1780.  Richard is described as Yeoman and both are described as of this parish.

Richard and Catherine had children between 1781 and 1797 in St Dominick.

I have found the gravestone and will of a Richard Cowle who died in St. Dominick in 1824 aged 74.  Unfortunately the will does not name his wife or children, only his executors Sampson Lucas and John Worth.  It does, however, describe him as Yeoman.

I have found details of the burial of another possible Richard Cowle on 2 Jun 1781 in St Dominick from the website of the St Dominick OPC but can't prove if this is the 'other' Richard Cowle.

I wonder if anyone has access to records for the surrounding parishes which may show a marriage or burial of a Richard Cowle born around 1749/1750.

Arthur - Egloshayle, Cornwall
Atkins - Hyde Heath/Chesham, Bucks
Conway - Plymouth/London/Ireland
Cowle/Coule - Cornwall
Fry - Lymington Hampshire/Brighton
Keen, Moreton, Sander/Saunders - Cholesbury, Bucks
Montague - Poplar/Bethnal Green
Moyes - Suffolk
Rowlands - Oswestry, Shropshire
Ryder - Chorleywood
Wright - London

Offline SheilaM

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage or death of Richard COWL b. 1749 St. Dominick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
This is not very conclusive but the age ties in.

Burial - Richard Cowle age 74, 21 July 1824, Place - St Dominick

This would make him born about 1750.

Sheila
LANCS Rochdale: Sanderson, Burke. Crompton/Shaw: Robinson, Walkden, Swann<br />Oldham: Sandiford, Mitchell<br />STAFFS Willenhall/Cheslyn Hay: Stokes, Broom<br />SOMERSET: Bath:  Broom/Hawkins/Plowman/Roberts/West<br />YORKS: Gibson, Helliwell<br />IRELAND: Burke, Holmes<br />USA/Canada: Sanderson<br />WILTSHIRE: Hawkins<br /><br />All census information is Crown Copyright