Author Topic: Rev.Duncan McAllum"The North Star" Inverness.  (Read 4704 times)

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rev.Duncan McAllum"The North Star" Inverness.
« on: Tuesday 24 October 06 23:31 BST (UK) »
Would anyone Have any information about an ancestor of mine,Duncan McAllum who was born 1755 in Argyll. Duncan was the son of a retainer of the Duke of Argyll.Duncan was a gaelic preacher in the highlands and islands for the Methodist church.He was ordained in 1787 for his work in Scotland.Wesley,named him "The North Star"I believe he was living in Inverness at the time of his marriage to Elizabeth Livingstone 14th January 1784.Elizabeth was born,6th Dec 1755 at Inverness.Her parents were Alexander Livingstone and Katherine Anderson.Elizabeth McAllum died Wed 18th November 1812 at Aberdeen.Duncan died 21st July1834.Any information about Duncan and his marriage greatly appreciated.Gereon.I also have a posting on the Aberdeen look up page about Duncan McAllum.
,McAllum,Argyll.McAllum, Newcastle.Donkin,Newcastle.McKechnie,Auckland.Bainbridge,Newcastle.Fenwick,Featherstone,Muschamp,Little,Craster Northumberland.Livingstone,Inverness.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
Re: Rev.Duncan McAllum"The North Star" Inverness.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 07 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Duncan McAllum (1751-1834) was born in Argyll, Scotland, the son of a retainer of the Duke of Argyll. He became a Methodist preacher at the age of nineteen and exercised an active circuit ministry for fifty-one years, almost entirely in Scotland. He had originally wanted to go as a missionary to Africa, but was persuaded by Wesley to travel in the Scottish Highlands and islands, where his fluent Gaelic was essential.

Highly regarded by Wesley, who affectionately christened him the “North Star”, McAllum was ordained in 1787 for the work in Scotland.

Many of the first Methodist societies in Scotland owe their birth to McAllum’s evangelism. His son Daniel also became a Methodist minister.

McAllum superannuated in 1826 and retired to the home of his daughter-in-law where he died.

Source: Dictionary of Evangelical Biography 1739-1860, edited by Donald M. Lewis (1995)

Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 January 07 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.I now know that Rev.Duncan McAllum was born at Arrochar Argyllshire Oct 1755.Unfortunately it seems the church records for Arrochar are from 1759 - 1854,so would appreciate some advise as to where I can go from here!Gereon.
,McAllum,Argyll.McAllum, Newcastle.Donkin,Newcastle.McKechnie,Auckland.Bainbridge,Newcastle.Fenwick,Featherstone,Muschamp,Little,Craster Northumberland.Livingstone,Inverness.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 07 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I was in Arrochar a few days ago lol!

try argyll and bute council library OR
Just been informed that the local registrar for Helensborough and Lomond is 01436 658822
yous hould get somewhere with one of those
ALison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 07 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your efforts Alison,as I live in N.Z I will have to look for a web site or rely on snail mail.I could of course phone which actually I will do.Until I can find out the name of Duncans wife (Duncan the retainer of the Duke of Argyll ) I am stuck,so its probably worth the phone call.Thanks again,gereon. :)

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 20:43 BST (UK) »
I have a Donald McAllum  who married in Kiltarlity, Inverness about the end of the 18th Century to an Annie McBain and they had 2 children Flora b 1805 ish and John born 1812, both in Kiltarlity. I am wondering if my Donald could be related to your Duncan?

Thanks

Sue
Abernethy : Shetland
Fraser: Shetland
McCallum : Argyll
MacCalman: Argyll
Munro : Inverary
Sutherland: Elgin/ Fearn/Edinburgh/ Tillicoultry
Culbard : Elgin/ Edinburgh
Gibson: Ayrshire
Faddes: Ayrshire
McCormick: Ayrshire
Bruce : Aberdeenshire/Ayrshire
Kennedy : Aberdeenshire
Auld : Ayrshire
Morrison : Glasgow
Burton : Ireland
Collins : Stirlingshire
McLaren : Stirlingshire
Cargill : Angus
Coull : Angus
Anderson; Banff
Tocher: Banff
Sellars: Aberdeenshire
Mitchell : Aberdeen

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 07 04:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,thank you for replying.I dont think I am able to help,I am still trying to confirm Rev Duncan McAllums birth date and parents.Acording to an inscription in his book of sermons he was born Oct 1755 at Arrochar.The family tree I have,gives his birth place as Luss (which is the parish next door to Arrochar) Jan 13th 1754,parents, Duncan and Janet McMurrick in Ashland in the Head of Buchanan Parish had a lawful son baptised and called Duncan.Duncan McCallum and Janet McMurrick were married at the Manse of Buchanan Oct 15th 1743.I have not been able to find a Oct 1755 Arrochar birth for Duncan.The Methodist official year of birth for Rev Duncan is 1751 at Argyll.There is only one birth in Argyll in 1751 with a Duncan McCallum naming his son Duncan and that is,19th Oct 1751 at Inverery and Glenaray Argyll.Duncan McCallum and Elizabeth McCorquodale,twin boys,Duncan and Hugh.As Rev duncans father was a retainer of the Duke of Argyll,the Inveraray place and 1751 date seems right to me,Im still looking for the marriage of Duncan and Elizabeth McCorquodale which may have something to help.Rev Duncan McAllum and Elizabeth Livingstone were married at Inverness 14th Jan 1784.Their children were,Alexander McAllum,bapt,Inverness 13th Dec 1784.John McAllum,born,2nd May 1786,bapt,2nd may 1886 at Arbroath Angus.Jean McAllum,born,16th March 1788,bapt,16th March 1788 at Inverness.Duncan McAllum (my 3rd great grandfather),born 12th April 1791 at Inverness.Daniel McAllum,born,22nd June 1794.I am certain there were two more births but have been unable to find them. The son of Rev Duncan,Duncan McAllum,became a surgeon and moved to Newcastle on Tyne.I havent come across other McAllum from Inverness before and if I do see your family names, I  will let you know. Cheers.Gereon. :)

Offline Susie C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 07 16:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks gereon. I like you haven't seen many McCallums born in Inverness and as all my other McCallums originate in Argyll, I wonder if Ann McBain and Donald McCallum are actually from Argyll? I can't find a marriage and can only find one birth (the one for John) but have Flora's  death certificate which lists her parents. I'll keep searching, maybe I'll be lucky....if I am I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again
Sue
Abernethy : Shetland
Fraser: Shetland
McCallum : Argyll
MacCalman: Argyll
Munro : Inverary
Sutherland: Elgin/ Fearn/Edinburgh/ Tillicoultry
Culbard : Elgin/ Edinburgh
Gibson: Ayrshire
Faddes: Ayrshire
McCormick: Ayrshire