Author Topic: Quinn's Buildings, Popham St, Islington  (Read 11098 times)

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Quinn's Buildings, Popham St, Islington
« on: Thursday 11 November 04 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a relative who was born in Quinn's Buildings, Popham St, Islington in 1893 and i'm interested in finding out more about the building. I've had a look on at the Charles Booth archive and the street was a very poor area (boardering on being semi-criminal). Does anyone have any information as to who built the buildings (were they built by a trust etc) or any photos of it? Also does anyone have a street index for 1893/94 which i could request a search from as i want to see how long my ancestors lived there.

Thanks

Paula
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quinn's Buildings, Popham St, Islington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 04 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Paula,

These buildings were there in 1891 and comprised a whole enumeration district of the census.  There seem to have been approximately 250 separate households living there at the time.  I have not been able to find it on the enumerator's walk in 1881.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 04 14:57 GMT (UK) »
It must have been a very large complex/building. My relative was born at number 171. I know they weren't living there in the 1891 or 1901 census so would like to know approximately when they moved there and left.

Paula
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wolverhampton, Islington: Billingsley
Hammersmith, Manchester, Kent, Islington: Smith
Yorkshire: Hauxwell, Woodward, Butterfield
Darlington: Theakston
Essex: Harvey, Stock, Mead
Kent: Strong
Wokingham, Hammersmith: Thorpe
Oxfordshire: Rawlin(g)s, Johnson, Humphries, Curtis, Pope, Bossom, Simpson

Offline mideam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 December 04 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hope this is a little bit of help. Here is an account of Popham Street and Quinn's Buildings with a small picture

http://www.yourmemories.co.uk/memories/county/greaterlondon/burdett1_islington.asp

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 December 04 00:47 GMT (UK) »
There were several Quinn's Buildings in London at that time. It was not uncommon for one landlord to own several large tenement developments. Some of those like Peabody's Buildings were designed to be a better class of housing for the working class.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hargreenman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 January 12 12:59 GMT (UK) »
My father lived there in 1901, he was born 1898 so maybe he was born there. British History Online History of the County of Middlesex says they were built in 1876 but the present map shows only modern blocks of flats. There must be a record of the rebuild somewhere.
hargreenman

Offline MaggiePearce

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I have only just come across this site but was interested in the message from Paula.  My grandfather, born 1893 - Frederick Walker - lived in Quinn's Buildings. Wondered if there was a connection.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 14:59 BST (UK) »
An old thread, I know.  I have a relative living there in 1939, @ 51, Quinns Buildings.

There may be a clue in that name. ;)

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
You can see Quinn Buildings, Popham Street on the map at http://maps.nls.uk/view/101201472#zoom=4&lat=7691&lon=8558&layers=BT
They were built by Thomas Quinn MP, who had extensive brickworks about twenty miles from London, and was  a builder of flats and model dwellings.
"Some of the workingmen's dwellings he has put up in various parts of London are among the best of their kind, and "Quinn's-buildings," in more than one district, will remain as a lasting memorial of an honest builder." Pall Mall Gazette - Thursday 04 November 1897
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk