Author Topic: Elizabeth/Lizzie Mullis  (Read 1797 times)

Offline timetraveller

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth/Lizzie Mullis
« on: Saturday 28 October 06 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all

My grt grandmother was Elizabeth (Mullis) Loffman.  She died in 1901 after the census was taken which gives a rough birth year of 1860.  My maternal family are adamant that she was born in Motherwell but I have found no evidence of this yet.

She married? out of her faith (RC) to a Jew named Alexander/Alex/Alec Loffman and had several children.  I can find no proof as yet that the Loffman family went to Scotland from Poland/Russia to  before settling in Birmingham.  I can find them in Birmingham and elsewhere in England but not Scotland.

I have no other reference to go on with my grt grandmother only that she did take the name of Loffman as it is on her children's birth certificates.  I can find no marriage either.  But recently I was told that they lived together so there may not have been a marriage.

I'm really stumped with this as I do not know where or what  to look for so would appreciate any help please.

Thanks
timetraveller

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth/Lizzie Mullis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
HI Timetraveller

Which is the earliest census that you have found Elizabeth in, was it after her 'marriage' and in England? Mullis and variants very unusual name for Scotland. Only 3 entries for Scotland on IGI.

There are 10 entries in the 1861 Census for *liz* Mull* aged 0-2, with all the entries being variants on Mullen: Mully/Mulligan for example. The entries are concentrated around the Glasgow/Lanarkshire/Renfrew areas...so Motherwell could fit.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline timetraveller

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth/Lizzie Mullis
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 06 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

Thanks for replying.

The only census I have found her on so far for definite is 1901 census with husband and children.  Their oldest child Rose was born in 1888 in Birmingham so it must be on a spelling variation of her married name I have yet to find on 1891 census and I have looked at loads!

I have said to older relatives that maybe she was born in Birmingham to Scottish parents but they wont accept it, are adamant she was born in Motherwell.  But without any definite proof of anything this remains a brick wall!

Thanks again
Best wishes
timetraveller