Author Topic: What does N.B.L.E. stand for?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What does N.B.L.E. stand for?
« on: Wednesday 01 November 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
On a headstone of an ancestor was 'retired N.B.L.E.' (could have been N.B.L.A.) Anyone know what organisation the initials stand for?
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

bervonian

Re: What does N.B.L.E. stand for?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Purely a guess. North British Locomotive Engineer ? (unless some of you wise people know different !)

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ed,
              N B L A,national businesswomen's leadership.
               N B L E,  none battle loss ,equpment......
                  Don't think they are right,but they were in a dictionary. ;D
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 21:15 GMT (UK) »
hello ed, do you know his occupation (was he a miner), or anything about him, as nbla is the national black lung association, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I just checked my source again and it is definitely N.B.L.E. as opposed to an A! A couple of more clues... this was a male who died aged 62 in 1923, probably in Thurso. So if he was retired by age 62, maybe it was something military or naval perhaps... or a job where he could retire early???
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just checked Granddad's 1930 dictionary and at that time N.B. was either North British (i.e Scotland) or New Brunswick. I think bervonian is probably near the mark.

Have you tried checking his occupation in the 1901 census. It might give you some idea of his early career.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 November 06 09:15 GMT (UK) »
That's a good idea and the next time I have a few credits on Scotlands People, I'll do just that! If anyone is able to look up the Census for me, the name is Daniel Brock, d 1923 in Thurso. He is on the 'fringes' of the family tree, so to speak - so perhaps the various Census information will help me see how he fits in to the bigger picture.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and suggestions!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 November 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Brock, aged 35, single, was a boarder in the Dennistoun area of Glasgow in the 1901 census. He was born in Wick, Caithness.

His occupation was a Rail Engine maker Fitter.

644-3 120-3 page 7

So North British Locomotive Engineer would probably get my vote.

Gadget  :D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 November 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Gadget! Question answered, mystery solved.