Author Topic: Brimham Addyman 1851 census entry  (Read 4417 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brimham Addyman 1851 census entry
« on: Tuesday 07 November 06 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Please help!!

Can anyone give me a full transcription of the entry on the 1851 census for John Addyman and his family, farmers living in Brimham, Hartwith cum Winsley, HO107 Piece 2280 Folio 262 Page 9. The image on acnestry is missing a vertical section, losing the latter part of the name, and most of the status. and as result, it's impossible tp see if the last two children are grandchildren, and what is the relationship of Jane Kay... and Thomas Kettlem... to the rest of the family. 

TIA

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brimham Addyman 1851 census entry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 09:40 GMT (UK) »
address Brimham
John Addyman head 70 farmer of 125 acres employing 3 labs b Brimham
Elizabeth 50?wife b Thirsk
Amos 24 son
Jane 17 dau
George 16 son
Samuel 14 son
Mark 12 son
Emma 10 dau
Barnabas 7 son
Toliver 6 son
Mary 3 gr dau
James 1 gr son
all born Brimham
Jane Kay 77 lodger farmers widow b Hartwith
Thomas Kettlewell visitor 66 widower shepherd b Middleton

Theres a line right through wifes age looks more like 50 than 60 though.
On next page
Nathaniel Addyman Head  28  butter factor b Brimham
Jane 26 wife b Warsill
Jane 4 Brimham
Thomas 3
John 5mths
same address

Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Isobel

Thanks for the transcription. I made a guess that the last two were grandchildren, now to find out who they belong to :) I was also hoping thet the last two names might give some clues as well, but maybe not.

The big puzzle, though, is the Paliser connection. On the 1861 census, the family is listed as  ... Addeyman Palliser, although the Palliser surname doesn't appear on any other census. There's also Paliser Addeyman on the 1851 census. I have a marriage between Thomas Sctachard and Jane Palliser Oct- Dec 1866. There's two GRO index entries that I suspect are mis-transcriptions of the surname: Pallisor and Pallison, but which I believe should be Palliser. A co-researcher has Jane's name as Pattison, but all else matches. I'm assuming that Jane Palliser is the Jane Addeyman Palliser that appears on the 1861 census. The Scatchards and Addeymans seem to have been close neighbours for many years, so there's good reason to think there might be closer family ties.

David
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 11:25 GMT (UK) »
So the one I thought was Toliver is Paliser.I enlarged it but Toliver seemed the most logical name.I see theres a John ,William and Elizabeth on 41 census as well ,were they married by 51 as they dont appear.
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I haven't checked out the Addymans in much detail except for Nathaniel and his family, and then, only his daughter Jane. My main objective is to "prove" that the Jane Palliser that married Thomas Scatchard was Nathaniel Addyman's daughter. It looks as though I'm going to need to start a systematic search though the census returns, and the IGI to try and sort this one out.

Interestingly, someone has posted name corrections for the Addyman family for the 1851 census on Ancestery. Can't seem to contact him, tho'.

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I noticed a Michael Addyman living Winsley with his family born b Brimham I think he was 27 could be one of yours.If you need anything on disc let me know

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 November 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I will

David