Author Topic: Death in Portsea 1837 ? Local Knowledge Needed.  (Read 2404 times)

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Death in Portsea 1837 ? Local Knowledge Needed.
« on: Thursday 09 November 06 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Having received my great-great-great-grandmother's death certificate I now have more questions... ;)

Sarah Brad died on 29th August 1837 at 8.p.m. Portsea Town (aged 46).
Informant was her husband John Brad, currier, 41 Britain Road, Portsea.
Cause of death was 'Decline - chronic dysentery' (poor Sarah).

Question one) 
Would anyone know whether time of death would mean she died in a hospital of some sort rather than at home?

Question two)
Does anyone know where the nearest/most likely burial place would be for someone living in the Britain Street area? I have looked around and it would appear that St Marys has burial records from then - but I don't know Portsea/Portsmouth at all and there appear to be a lot of churches so I might be wrong.

Any other comments welcome as to what other avenues I can search.

Many thanks

Helen
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Portsea 1837 ? Local Knowledge Needed.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 November 06 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Sarah was buried in Portsea Mile End Cemetery on 3rd Sept 1837.  She was 46.  The cemetery was lost to development in the 1970s when the continental ferry port was expanded.

I would suggest that the time being included is nothing more than a registrar who was still unclear about what should be recorded on the certificates.  Civil registration had only been running for about eight weeks.  My gg grandfather was born in Portsea late in 1838 and his time of birth was put on the certificate.  He was most definitely not a twin.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 November 06 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Wow

Thanks Nell.  Knew there'd be a Portsea expert on here somewhere :)

Shame that the cemetery no longer exists - but nice to know where she was buried.  Presumably she's buried under concrete now  :-\- at least she'll not be disturbed any further.

You're probably right about the registrar - can see him thinking 'better too much info than not enough' - shame there weren't more like him ;D

Many thanks.

Helen
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Offline upthetree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 07 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi they keep a book of memorial inscriptions for Mile End Cem at Portsmouth R.O. Perhaps if you contact them they could have a look in it for you.

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 January 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Upthetree

Not sure that Sarah would have had a memorial - John ended up in the Union workhouse at Bishop's Stortford by 1841 so unlikely the family could have afforded one.

However am hoping to pay a visit to Portsmouth R.O. this year so thanks for giving me another source to look at. :) :)

Helen

Oh, and welcome to RootsChat too  ;)

Offline rootsfinder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 07 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The helpful lady at the Portsmouth Record Office told me that at the time they were closing Mile End cemetery, notices were printed in the newspapers letting families know that if they wanted to move their loved one's body, they could do so. It's pretty unlikely that many did, and so the bodies were dug up and moved to Kingston Cemetery and buried in mass graves. There are several plots with no stones in Kingston and at least two of these are the mass graves. The folks at Kingston (or the other cemetery) should know.
Surname interests:
Devon: Barry, Beer, Couch, Fice, Treble, Stanton
Lincolnshire: Allman, Selby
London (Greater): Stanton/Standen, Archer
Hampshire: Allman, Letty, Rex, Collins, Naish, Newell, Stewart
West Yorkshire: Elliott and Dawson - Campsall, Kirk Smeaton and Womersley; Firth, Tillison/Tillotson and Willans - Wakefield and surroundings
Wiltshire: Allman
Shropshire/Worcestershire: Baines

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootsfinder

Thanks for the info - I shall add a trip to Kingston cemetery to the list. ;)

Helen