Author Topic: Cazaneu Street Liverpool, Fruit Market,Goodwins  (Read 9495 times)

Offline Auntie San

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cazaneu Street Liverpool, Fruit Market,Goodwins
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am researching my mother in laws family, The Goodwins, in the course of my looking I have found that her Uncle, James Goodwin had a wholesale fruit and veg stall in Cazaneu Street,  it would seem that the rest of the family were also in the fruit trade. I believe that they had a shop in Knowsley Road Bootle which was knocked down to build part of what is now the Strand shopping centre
If you are a Goodwin or can  offer any help on this I would be most grateful,
My mother-in-law is ** (nee Goodwin) she is now 91 it would be nice to find a bit more info about that side of her family.

Best wishes to all

** Moderator comment: name of living person removed in accordance with Rootschat policy

San
Liverpool Moore ,Johnston, Murray Goodwin ,Cain , Gearing, Murphy
Cheshire Broster
London/Kent Tynan, Duggan Moore, Kennet, Mumford

Offline madagoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cazaneu Street Liverpool, Fruit Market,Goodwins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 08 20:51 BST (UK) »
HI San,

I'm trying to find my family information as they seem to have passed through Liverpool. At one time (about 1841) they lived in a place called Poole Place in "extraparochial toxteth park"

can you contact me by e-mail and see if we have any Goodwin's in common.

thanks

Malcolm

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 October 08 19:27 BST (UK) »
Cazneau Street was one of the Streets that were demolished (only a very small section of it left these days) for the new flyover down towards the City Centre and the Tunnels.

It was adjacent to St Annes Street (where the old Bridewell used to be) and Great Homer Street (where the Market was that we read so much about in books about Liverpool) and comes out to the left is Scotland Road and to the right is Kirkdale Road..

Very much different to what I remembered in in the 1940's and 1950's etc.,

Offline BurscoughLad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 11 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Just trawling old posts and saw this . . .

Just so that you are not led down a cul-de-sac, Auntie San the location for the Strand you mention is not accurate.

I was attracted by the Cazneau Street header. My father was also in the greengrocery and fruit trade. His last shop, before he retired, was in Knowsley Road; on the corner with Scott Street, directly opposite the Gainsborough picture house. 
As a kid, he would take me to market on a Saturday morning. What an experience, seeing all the market stalls and the farm produce in the big yard at the rear.

I can remember being taken into the Strafford Donning banana rooms in a nearby street on a couple of occasions and seeing the hands of fruit hanging in the warmth getting them ripe before sale.   

Another memory is the smoking rooms at McAvoy & Pinnington, down on Vauxhall Road, with huge sides of bacon hung up and the acrid smoke from the oak sawdust.

The Strand shopping centre is further away from Knowsley Road and is limited by the Leeds - Liverpool canal, Stanley road and Marsh lane. I think the western limit is the bus station and the Liverpool to Southport railway line.

It's a long time since I was down there, as it's not on a direct route into Liverpool and now there are restrictions for vehicles along Stanley Road - buses and taxis only I think.

Hope this helps

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Here's an old map featuring the location of Cazneau Street market:-

C

Offline Auntie San

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 11 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
 thanks for the replies, I have not been on the site for years, my mother in law died just shortly after I posted the question. As most of  you are aware sometimes the tree and all its questions just has to be left when more pressing matters come up.
 I have tried to PM Madagoo but your mail box must be full. If you are still interested PM me thanks.

Nice to be back

San
Liverpool Moore ,Johnston, Murray Goodwin ,Cain , Gearing, Murphy
Cheshire Broster
London/Kent Tynan, Duggan Moore, Kennet, Mumford