Author Topic: Possible out-of-wedlock birth?  (Read 2397 times)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Possible out-of-wedlock birth?
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Looking at my information, I think I may have an ancestor who was born out of wedlock and I don't know who her father is.  I guess it's possible that nobody knew, in which case I guess I've got a dead end on that branch of the family tree.  Here's the information and if anyone has ideas of where to look, it would be greatly appreciated.

Based on a Scottish marriage certificate, ship passenger lists, and US census records, Margaret Clark was born in Scotland about 1883.  Her mother, Charlotte Deuchar Clark, was born 28 Jan 1864 in Inverarity And Methy, Angus, Scotland.  Charlotte's parents were James Clark and Georgina Deuchars. 

I have a 1881 Census entry that might be Charlotte - it has a Charlotte, age 17, living in Mains and born in Inverarity, as a farm servant to the Brown family.  (They had an 18 year old son...maybe he's Margaret's father?)  Charlotte's marital status was listed as N/A.  There was an 1891 Census entry that seemed to fit Charlotte (dairymaid living in Mains), but there's no listing for her daughter.  I'd poke around more, but I used up all my credits on Scotlands People and I don't want it to turn into a wild goose chase.

On 10 Dec 1897 in Mains, Charlotte married a man named Alexander Clark.  I originally had assumed he was Margaret's father, but given the late date of their marriage, it seems unlikely.  Alexander died in 1900.  In 1905, Charlotte got remarried to John Duncan and she was living in Mains at the time.

On 05 Oct 1906, Margaret married David Nicoll.  Her usual residence was listed as Dundee, and there was no father listed on her marriage certificate.  They did list Charlotte and stated that "afterwards married Alexander Clark."  Margaret and David came to Massachusetts in 1911. 

I haven't had any luck finding Margaret's birth certificate.  Considering that it seems her mother lived in Angus throughout her life, I have looked at a few certificates from there, but none have panned out.

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Possible out-of-wedlock birth?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
If Margaret was born out of wedlock, she may have been sent to stay with her grandparents. Did you trace them in the 1891 census?
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Offline Sherlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 06 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Also as the 1901 census is available on Scotlandspeople , and Margaret married in 1906, can you find her on the 1901 census?
Andrew, Donald (Wester Highlands), Muckersie (Perth), Symon(s) (Dundee)

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Good idea about the grandparents.  I think I have her living with them in the 1901 Census and didn't even realize it, since she was listed as Maggie.  Charlotte had a sister named Maggie, so I think I was connecting the two Maggies in my mind.  In the 1901 Census, it says she was born in Dundee.  I'll have to see if I can find the grandparents in 1891 and any birth certificates from Dundee that I didn't already check. 

Offline sporran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 06 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shellyesq,

with a name like Margaret, it's always a good idea to use wildcards M*G* to pick up all the variations (and CLARK* for the surname).  The 1883 birth of Maggie Clark in Mains is the one for you.  There is a stamp for a RCE (Register of Corrected Entries) marked "Paternity".

You have two options: buy the certificate from SP and the RCE will be put on the back, or wait a couple of months or so for the RCE images to come to ScotlandsPeople (SP).

The RCE images are available on line at New Register House and the User Group expects to test the RCEs in the near future prior to their release on the SP site.

Regards,

John

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the information, John.  What does that paternity stamp mean - that paternity was established after the certificate was originally filed?

Offline sporran

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shellyesq,

it probably will have the father's name, although there is a possibility that findings were inconclusive.  Here is an example from one of mine:

"The Sheriff Substitute of Midlothian upon the 7th day of May 1880 pronounced decree in an action before the said court at the instance of Mary Jane McCurdie farm worker residing with her Father Samuel McCurdie horsefeeder Newcraighall in the Parish of Liberton against William Archibald miner or pitbottomer residing with Willm Anderson miner Adamsrow in the Parish of Newton finding that the said child was the illegitimate child of the said William Archibald.
June 18th 1880 at Newton.  Gavin Brown, Registrar"

Regards,

John