Author Topic: 1930 Census Look Up please  (Read 821 times)

Offline SandieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1930 Census Look Up please
« on: Sunday 12 November 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I would like the 1930s census information for Lily (aka Lilian) West date of birth 1896 place of birth London, who emigrated to New York in the early 1920s. 

I have her ship's manifest entry for 4 October 1924 (departing Southampton) which lists her as a US resident alien and records that this was not her first visit to the US.

Thank you.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1930 Census Look Up please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 06 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you know where in New York she settled, if she stayed in New York state at all? And do you know if between 1924 and 1930 she might have married. I couldn't find her on the 1930 census.

kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 06 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandie: I can't help with 1930 census for a few days; I only have access to it at the library.

But I decided to look Lily up on the Ellis Island site. Lily says on the 1924 manifest that she'd been in the U.S. between 1921 and 1924. I couldn't find a 1921 manifest with her on it, but not all New York passenger lists are on the Ellis Island site, I've found. Or she may have entered through another port in 1921. Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, perhaps.

In 1924 she apparently returned to Devon to visit. The manifest lists her father Henry Best as nearest relative and the address is 15 Selborne Villas, no town though. The manifest says that she was going to visit a friend, Mrs. Bull at 875 6th Avenue, New York.

Perhaps none of this is new--unless you didn't see the second page of the manifest (on the Ellis Island site the two pages are actually in reverse order, with the second page appearing first. Just click the "Next" when you see the miniature manifest). I thought I'd post it as I was reading.

Cheers,
John
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline SandieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 06 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Kath and John:  Thank you both for your prompt replies.

I have a copy of the ship's manifest of 4 October 1924.  Lily (born Lilian Victoria) was my great aunt.  Her father was Henry West and Selbourne Villas are in Braunton, North Devon.

I discovered from the manifest that she was going to stay with a friend, Mrs Bull, as John says, on 6th Avenue New York City and that Lily was a returning resident alien.  I guess she originally went over to the US in about 1920.   I, too, have looked briefly to see whether there is any on-line information for her other voyages, but will look in depth in due course.

I originally posted her year of birth as 1896 in error - this should have been 1897.

I do wonder whether she arrived in the US in time for the 1920 Census.

I know she married a William Hopkin(s) and that he died in a road accident - I believe in New York but I have no dates or further information.

Thank you both again.

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 06 09:57 GMT (UK) »
I had a look again and still no luck. Do you think she married, her husband died, and she went back to England to live? I also had a quick look around italiagen.org for death or marriage certs, but with commonish names, it was hard to come up with anything for sure.

Good luck, and if you need anymore help, let me know.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline SandieB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 06 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  She returned to England much later in her life - 70s I think.