Author Topic: Cousin Sarah's sampler  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
Re: Cousin Sarah's sampler
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Oh well you never know - mine pretty much stayed put as well, apart from what looks like a 5 year trek into Yorkshire in the mid 1800's by one family before they returned home.  I really would love to know the reason for the move - probably nothing exciting though.  2 of the kids were  born in different towns in Yorkshire.  Thanks to the censuses this type of info is recorded, otherwise we would know nothing.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iria

This is wonderful stuff! Alice did spell her name as Wilde on the sampler, too.  And to have Alice and Betty on the same census is pretty conclusive.  Time to send for some certificates, I think...
The 1861 place is Newhey, where several of my family members were born.  

Now all I have to do is to fit "Cousin Sarah" into this family somehow. Possibly a child of James or William??

Thank you so much.

Best wishes
Gill  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Kershaw married Sarah Jane Wilde
Jun 1901     Prestwich 8d 858

May be a link.

Richard

Ah, just spotted that husband is Jack.
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 November 06 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Well spotted, Richard!  I have a photo of Sarah with my grandparents taken about 1904, and I think she was still unmarried then.  I rather think that Sarah could have been an only child, at least there were no other relatives spoken about in connection with her.  All I know about husband Jack (John or James??) is that he was a clerk for the Yorkshire Penny Bank and they lived above the bank in Royton. (Well, I also know that he had an enormous walrus moustache and was totally under his wife's thumb, but that doesn't help much, does it?)

Thanks, anyway.  :)

Gill

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 November 06 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Something glaringly obvious is jumping out of the page at me now that I have had time to look at all the facts:  we are talking about two different sets of Hannah and Alices!  :o

1) The Hannah and Alice Wild I mentioned in my original message on the 1881 census cannot be the same people as the Hannah and Alice in the 1841, 51, 61 & 71 records.  Hannah on the 1881 was 58 years old, and was therefore born about 1843 (possibly a sister-in law of Betty, born the same year).  Alice was 25, so born about 1856 – around the right age to have been the embroiderer of the sampler in 1867. 

2) The other Hannah, already 66 years old in 1871, must have been born c 1805, so a generation older! She is almost definitely the mother of Betty, since she was living next door to her with Alice age 31 in 1871.  I can’t find this Hannah or Alice on the 1881.  Maybe Alice married late, but there are too many marriages of Alice Wilds in the Rochdale/Oldham area to find the right one.

I am drawn to the conclusion that Alice 1856 was the daughter of Hannah 1843 and one of the sons of Hannah 1805 and Charles.  The possibility exists that this Alice was the mother of “Cousin Sarah”, and the sampler was simply handed down to her daughter, who in turn passed it on to my mother, since Sarah and her husband Jack  had no children of their own.   Or is this too simple an explanation?  Without knowledge of Sarah’s maiden name I am stumped.   

My great-grandmother Betty Wild’s marriage certificate confirms that her father’s name was Charles, I see, so I am now able to add another generation to my tree.

Many, many thanks, Iria.  ;D

Gill

Offline sueyar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 16 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I don't know how long ago you posted the above subject, but I am descended from the Alice Wild in the first census sample : RG11 4100/77 22  2 Garden House, Butterworth (Rochdale)

I found your post by chance as I was searching for the string Bradley Bottoms - which appears lower down.

Alice Wild was indeed a widow, her husband Charles Blomley having been killed in an industrial accident in late January 1881. She must have reverted to her maiden name for the census. She was pregnant when Charles died giving birth to my grandmother  Hannah Blomley in April 1881, just after the census.
Alice remarried to an Edmund Clegg in February 1893

Alice b. 1855 d. 1918 was the daughter of Thomas Wild & Hannah Whitehead with siblings : James, Thomas, William, Elizabeth Hannah & Abraham

There are no Sarah's or Betty (Elizabeth) in this part of my tree that I am aware of. Apart from sister Elizabeth Hannah. Elizabeth Ann in the 1881 cesnsus - but I have her birth certificate

She did have 'a' connection to Kershaw - she sued the Water Company implicated in her husbands accident (and won!) A ? Kershaw I think reprepresented her at the court - I haven't read those transcripts in a long time.

"Hannah on the 1881 was 58 years old, and was therefore born about 1843"    eeer I'm afraid you got your maths a bit wrong!! Hannah was born around 1823 - otherwise she would have been 12 when Alice was born! And Alice had older brothers ....

Reading through the rest of your post, it looks like you have resolved your tree so not sure if this info is of any use!!

I only registered with RootsChat so that I could send this reply, so I do not know if photographs are possible?  It would be nice to see a picture of this sampler?

Sue

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 January 16 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Sue

Thanks for the information (and for correcting my maths ;)).  The sampler is now in the hands of my niece, who took this rather poor photo for me.  It hangs on her staircase and unfortunately you can see the banisters reflected on the photo.  It has embroidered on it "Work No. 8", which suggests that it was one of a series, also the date 1867.  You will need to enlarge it quite a bit to see the detail and it differs somewhat from the traditional sampler.

Hope the attachment works!

Gillg

Offline sueyar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 16 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gillg - nice to see!

Sue