Author Topic: Charlotte TUBBS  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charlotte TUBBS
« on: Tuesday 14 November 06 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone please spare a few minutes to look at my brick wall with a clear mind?

Charlotte Tubbs bapt. 8 Nov 1843 Horton, Dorset. Birthplace, Woodlands.

Father - Richard Tubbs
Mother - Mary Gillingham.

She appears on the 1951 and 61 census living with her parents.  From here I can find no trace of her.  Between 1861 and 71 the family moved to Bishopstoke, Hants, but there seems to be no trace of her in either place.

When she was 17 she had an illegitimate son, Alben, Alban, Albin (various spellings) whom she appears to have abandoned when she disappeared.  I have managed to trace him, and his wife and children. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I consign her to the untraceable pile.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Tubbs
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Might she have married?

there is this marriage
Free BMD
Dec qtr 1864
Winchester district hampshire
on same page
Henry Dyke
Charlotte Tubbs

now -you'll have to bear with me on this

1871 Hampreston Pilfred Dorset
William Dike 45 Smiths labourer Somerset Babkery?
Charlotte  wife  Dorset Horton
Henry Charles 8
Fred William 6
Stephen fred 4
sarah jane 2
children all b Dorset

RG19 1983 57 23

Kinson Dorset
Albert terrace

Charlotte Dyke Widow 37 Horton
Charles 19 ag lab
Frederick 16 Mill Boy
Frank14 Baker Boy
Sarah 13
bessie 11
Julia 7
Charlotte 1
all b Dorset
RG11 2084 69 27

Death FreeBMD
 S Stoneham dist Hampshire
Jun qtr 1880
Henry Dyke
born abt 1827

Is it possible that William of !871 was really Henry William-and was reg at marriage and death as Henry?
Possibly he was known as William, as the children seem to use their middle names in 1881??
Henry's death would fit in with Charlotte either being pregnant or just had an infant at the time of his death???

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 14:29 GMT (UK) »
also 1871 Richard and Mary Tubbs have  William Henry James Dyke -grandson age 5 living with them!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Bless you, and many, many thanks.

You can tell in terms of genealogy I'm only 6 months old.  I have seen Henry James Dyke on the 1871 census but it didn't occur to me that he could be connected with her.

So it appears that she did move up to Hampshire with the family.  I tried it all ways but couldn't make sense of it.  This was one last effort so I am truly grateful.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 15:30 GMT (UK) »
You're doing really well
It does make it difficult when they seem to use a different name on each census - Charlotte's siblings seemed to do that as well!

Happy hunting
Suz

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 06 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, you've boosted my confidence which took a knock recently.

I've been playing around with Henry Dyke, metaphorically speaking, and traced him back to 1841, when he appears to be living with his father (no mother mentioned).  He's not a blood relative but I wanted to make sure he was the right one, which he is if occupations are any indication.  In 1851 and 61 he was an ostler in 2 different public houses in somerset, one at Wedmore the other at Kingston.  Then in 1871 he is a Smith's labourer so he retains the horse theme throughout.  His father was a carrier so horses are involved there too.

Anyway I do thank you for your help, it's lovely when you can tie up a loose end.

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte TUBBS again.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 12:13 GMT (UK) »
May I ask for help, or rather confirmation or otherwise, on this;

Having been only 36 or 7 when her husband, William Dyke (Dike) died, I have looked for another marriage.  Could this be her marrying John Hiscock in 1884 Winchester District, 5a 610.

I hope I've put this in the right place because she moved about a bit from Dorset to Hants and vice versa

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Tubbs again.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 13:07 GMT (UK) »
It looks fairly good - although when I check the marriage on the ancestry version of FreeBDM it gives the district as Poole - but the ref is the same - presumably a district which changed its name.

I found Charlotte (looking like your Charlotte) in 1901
RG13/1978  117/53
12 Albert Terr Ashley Road Branksome Dorset
John Hiscock head M 63 Gardener(not domestic) worker Hant Winstead
Charlotte do wife M 55 Dorset Horton
Edith Do daur S 15 do Branksome
Lilly do daur S 13 do do

1891 could be more useful if some of her children from the previous marriage are there. I haven't found that one yet.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte Tubbs again.
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Found 1891 & your marriage looks even better

John Hiscock head M 51 Gardener Hant Minstead
Charlotte Do wife M 47 Dorset Horton Heath
Charlotte L Dyke daur 11 do Bourne Valley
Edith Hiscock daur 5 Do Kinson
Libby Do daur 2 do do
Jessy do granddaur 7 do Bourne valley
Ashley Rd Kinson Dorset RG12/1637  153/51

Trish

PS Not sure whether the youngest is Libby or Lilly?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk