Author Topic: MacLeod family Stornoway  (Read 2487 times)

Offline louplu28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MacLeod family Stornoway
« on: Thursday 16 November 06 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I'm new to this site and wondering if anyone knows anything about my grandmothers family. Her name was Flora MacLeod & was born on 3rd November 1917, her parents were Donald & Annie MacLeod. The address i have from her birth certificate is 28 Builnacraig, Stornoway. Donald's Profession/Occupation on the birth certificate is Cooper (Journeyman). My Grandmother had 5 sisters & 5 brothers they were,

Anne - no information known
Margaret - got married but had no family
Carrie -  Possibly lived in Glasgow in late 60's 70's with sister Anne/Margaret?
Katie - Died young of what i have been told was Brain fever, she fell in playground
Dena or Dera - Died aged about 16 of galloping consumption/ TB (not sure if name correct)

George - known as Geordie who was a Seaman
Donald John - known as Dolly John father to annette, George Wm & Morris/Peggy
Callum - Died 1947 he was burnt badly in a ship fire in Melbourne (possible ship name Minneosa)
Kenneth/Kenny - Chief Steward on boat at sea, when he got home one day he got to the front door and died sadly.
1 Unknown name brother died young possibly?

My Gran had a daughter called Joyce who now lives in London.
Sadly for an unknown reason my Grans parents were told that she had been killed in a train crash that happened in Crewe, England.
My Gran found this out when she came back to Stornoway in 1973 as old friends were totally shocked to see her as they thought she had been killed.
Whilst back on the island she stayed in a relatives Hotel or B&B i think but do not know the name of it.

My gran married Frederick Woodroff and lived in Swindon Wiltshire, they had a son David & a daughter Maureen (my Mother). My Gran, Grandad & David have all died now and my mother & auntie Joyce are the only living relatives. 

If anyone is part of the family or knows anything about the family please could you contact me i would love to find out more about this part of my family as this is all i really know. I have been in contact with George William MacLeod about 4 yrs ago and he gave me some good information,  but not in much detail e.g dates of birth, death, adresses, marriages etc. He lives in Lower Sandwick.
Thank you in anticipation
Louise xx  :-*
Looking for MacLeod family from Stornoway, Isle of Lewis. Grandmother was Born in 28 Builnacraig (rd), Stornoway. Family also living in Lower Sandwick, & possibly lived or still living in Battery Park Rd.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MacLeod family Stornoway
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 21:25 GMT (UK) »
This topic has been answered on the Ross and Cromarty Board.. See:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,196493.msg977717.html#msg977717

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GordyMacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 March 13 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Louise, I hope you don't mind me replying to your inquiries on this site. My Grandfather was Donald John Macleod who passed away in 1992, my mother is Annette and my Uncles being George and Morris, George passed away last month. From the extended family on my Grandfathers side I have only met Joyce and Douglas, many years ago now. I know the family house on Bulnacraig St very well and have only heard of my Grandfathers sisters and brothers in passing. if you still wish to make contact with the family please feel free to make contact with me on this site as I don't have any other contact details for you. I will monitor this site from time to time and make contact with you thereafter.

Regards, Gordon.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 March 13 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Gordon, welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you seen the other connected post by Louise that Gadget linked in the post above?

Louise has not been online since October 2011. She should receive a notification of your post here today. Sometimes a problem though over time if people change email providers etc.

But, we are always hopeful  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GordyMacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 March 13 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,

yes thanks for your input, I understand that with the passage of time initial contact details may have changed but as you say, we remain hopeful. I take it as moderator you have access to, in this case louplu28, e-mail addresses or the fact that i have replied to her post that an automatic response is generated from Rootschat.com to her?.

Thanks,

Gordon.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 March 13 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gordon,

Welcome to Rootschat

There is a family tree on ancestry with Donald Macleod, Annie Macleod and Flora. Goes under the username:- louiseplumb14

Just noticed a second tree username:- pwheeler001

Flora MacLeod - Birth 3 November 1917 in Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, Scotland   Death 1 July 1994 in  Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, Somerset.

There are a couple of photographs on these trees and I believe the owner of the first one is the lady who posted the original enquiry here. The tree was last worked on 6 months ago.  If Louise has her notifications turned off she may not know you have posted here but it might be worth trying to contact her through ancestry.

Hope this helps.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Gordon, when anyone makes a new posting on any thread, an email is sent automatically to everyone who has contributed to that post.

Sometimes gremlins creep in though  :-\ Also, some people choose to switch off notifications to new postings.

I am hopeful though as I have seen many people post back after some years of not posting anything new.

Sandra's member trees might also open other doors too.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk