Author Topic: Alexander McFarlane - Greenock  (Read 8184 times)

Offline JasonMcF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McFarlane - Greenock
« on: Friday 17 November 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I would like help in finding information about Alexander McFARLANE. I know that he married Ann (nee Duncan) and that he had at least 4 sons Alexander (my great-great grandfather), Ian, Roderick and Neil.

About my great-great grandfather I know that he was born in Greenock 19 April 1841, died in Adelaide, Australia 11 February 1917. He immigrated to South Australia arriving aboard "Sarah" 1 October 1866.

I assume that my great-great-great grandfather Alexander was born somewhere around 1810-1820, however, I do not know in which order his sons were born so it could even be before that.

I have been told that the family was involved in ship building in Greenock but I have not been able to find any information confirming that. The Alexander McFARLANE that immigrated to Australia built racing yachts so the ship building link could definitely be something.

Hopefully that is enough information to get some help, beyond my great-great grandfather I only have names.

Thanks in advance,
Jason McFarlane

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McFarlane - Greenock
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 November 06 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason

These are the children showing for Alexander and Ann Duncan from IGI:

1. NEIL MACFARLANE  Christening: 08 OCT 1843 West Or Old Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
2. ALEXANDER MCFARLANE Christening: 02 MAY 1841 East Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
3. ELIZABETH LONGWILL MCFARLANE Birth: 13 NOV 1848 East Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
4. JANET MCFARLANE Christening: 19 OCT 1846 East Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
5. MARY ANN MACFARLANE Birth: 05 FEB 1839 East Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
6. CHRISTINA MCFARLAN Christening: 09 MAR 1834 West Or Old Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
7. GEORGE MCFARLAN Christening: 13 MAR 1836 West Or Old Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
8. JOHN MCFARLANE Christening: 27 FEB 1831 West Or Old Parish, Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 November 06 17:28 GMT (UK) »
There is also a submitted entry for the parents' marriage on IGI:

ALEXANDER MC FARLAN  Marriages: Spouse: ANN DUNCAN    
Marriage:  26 MAY 1830  Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
This looks to be the family in the 1841 Census in Greenock West, Renfrewshire. Everyone showing as born in the county apart from parents and John age 10:

Alexr. McFarlane, age 30-34, Carpenter, b. Scotland
Ann, age 30-34, b. Scotland
John, 10, b. Scotland
Christina, 8
George, 6
Mary Ann, 4
Alexr, 2 months
Agnew Howie, female servant, age 15-19, b. Scotland.

Address: Regent Street, Greenock West.

A couple of points on the 1841 census. Everyone's age for those over 15 was supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5, children under 15 are supposed to show their actual age. Those born outside the County of the Census, simply show Scotland.

Regards.

Monica

Offline JasonMcF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 November 06 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for all the information it is very useful. How would you suggest I find out where Alexander and Ann were born seeing that they were not born in the same county as the 1841 census? I did do a search on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ but there are quite a few throughout Scotland with the same name that were born at about the same time.

Regards,
Jason

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 November 06 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason

As a start, I would try and find your Alexander in the 1851 Census on Scotlands People. Open of your ages for the search, say 9-11, in Greenock. Once you find him, you can look at the birth places and ages showing for the parents to start your searches.

From the 1851 Census onwards, people were supposed to be more specific re ages and birth places (the 1841 Census is not great for that info). Assuming parents Alexander and Ann lived beyond the start of official registration in Scotland, you should hopefully find their death certs. on Scotlands People which should give their parents' names.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 November 06 12:12 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't used Scotlands People before or done much (any!) research in Scotland, you should have a look at these to links here on RootsChat to help you understand what's available and how to use Scotlands People most effectively:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Jason

I've done some searches on SP for the 1851 Census, I'm getting Alexander's entry (I think!) and some siblings coming up under this reference

GREENOCK NEW OR MIDDLE   /RENFREW GROS Ref: 564/00 005/00 002   'No Image'

The surname is showing as MACFARLANE. What this normally means is that the Census page is too faint to image on-line. The 1861 Census might be the one to start with!

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 06 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I've found Ann Duncan's death cert in 1861, thankfully she died, age 56, after the 1861 Census so you should be able to find her with family in 1861. Alexander husband, a ship's carpenter,  is not showing as deceased. The entry is in Govan, son John reported the death.

Parents were John Duncan and Christina (Christian) McKirdy, both deceased.

There is this entry on IGI which may relate to Ann's parents:

John Duncan  About 1780  Of, Rothesay, Bute, Scotland
Parents: Father: Neil Duncan    

Marriages: Spouse: Christian McKirdy    
Marriage:  15 APR 1805  Rothesay, Bute, Scotland

Watch out when searching on IGI for Christina names, IGI doesn't seem to pick up always on the Christian name variant.

Hopefully the 1861 Census entry will confirm Ann's birthplace (and Alexander's).

Monica