Author Topic: Parkhurst Barracks, Carisbrooke  (Read 5452 times)

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Parkhurst Barracks, Carisbrooke
« on: Friday 17 November 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,   
I am trying to find some history to do with the above,  my ancestor James Roberts was a private soldier in the 36th foot regiment but I understand that there is always a possibility that he may be in another Regiment at some point. In 1851 at the time of the census he was stationed at the barracks and I would love to know why he was there at that time.  Was something going on that needed him to be there and how many regiments were also there in 1851, I know at a later date he was at Weedon, Northampton and then a little later at Cork, Ireland.

If anyone has any information or knowledge regarding the Barracks please can you get in touch as I want to find out as much as I can about  my ancestors life.   Thank you very much in advance.

Offline IOW Maiden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parkhurst Barracks, Carisbrooke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carino,
you might find this site of some use, I havn't checked but I do know they have a section on soldiers and a section on the prison.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/s0uthbury/

regards IOW Maiden.
All Lock/e's Isle of Wight
Hobbs, Brown, Jacobs and Payne,Isle of Wight
Haynes,Sharp,Moisey,Wood,Blackburn and Earnshaw in West Yorkshire
Denham and Claughton Leeds
Hanmer in Ruabon and Llansilin Wales,St Martins Shropshire,Durham,South and West Yorkshire.
Cox and Holmes Birmingham

Offline Carino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parkhurst Barracks, Carisbrooke
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you for the web link I haven't looked at it yet but I will do in a moment.

Can I be cheeky and ask you if your last name is Maiden,  as it is my last name and I am not having much luck in finding my ancestors.

Thank you once again.