Author Topic: South African help please.  (Read 3017 times)

Offline annieRN

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South African help please.
« on: Saturday 18 November 06 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a contact from Genes Reunited about a possible match.  I wonder if anyone could give me any hints on how to find out more.  I have never had to do any research in South Africa before.

I think we have a common link here. I have Elizabeth Blacker born 1 May 1784 in Midsomer Norton. She married Henry Warner on 4 February 1804 in Bristol, England. She died on 18 June 1840 at Double Drift Military Post, Fish River Cape Colony. Buried at Fort Brown, Transkei. The service was conducted by Capt. J C Cahill of the 91st egiment who read the Church of England service. Her tombstone can still be seen in the cemetry behind the trading store. They had 5 children. My line on my mothers side is the Warner''s. I can send you more detail if you wish.

If it is true have you any idea what she would have been doing at Double drift millitary post in 1840.  So much more interesting than generations of Somerset Coalminers.
Somerset:  Blacker, Wilton, Withers, Cox, Cleverley and Cavill
Gloucestershire: Horne

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South African help please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 November 06 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at www.1820settlers.com and at Wikipedia for 1820 Settlers - it will give you some background and perhaps a clue to Elizabeth being in a fort.

In brief, there was large influx of settlers from Britain to the Eastern Cape in the 1820's. The Transkei is part of this area. There were a number of battles with the indigenous peoples for decades - hence the Forts. It's possible she was there for protection.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annieRN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 November 06 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much.  I have been trawling the IGI and have found a baptism in Bristol for Mary Toye Warner born 1805 (parents Henry Warner and Eliza Blacker)
and a submitted marriage of Mary Toye Warner to John Bath Staples Clumber Cape of Good Hope 19 April 1821. Does this mean anything. I have never found a South African connection before.
                               Anne

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 November 06 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I have no expertise in SA geniology, simply my other half is from there!  THE website is www.national.archives.gov.za, where you can search for info. I quickly found a Henry Blacker Warner there..!

The bad news, you will need to find a researcher to get hold of the docs.

meles

Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 November 06 06:21 GMT (UK) »
For anyone starting out in South African genealogy research, have a look at the Beginners Guide available at www.genealogyworld.net  This gives an overview of procedures and sources available.  The Guide is downloadable. Also see 'Making the Most of Deceased Estate Files' at www.genealogyworld.net/estate.html

Regards,
Mole

All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline annieRN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou very much  My contact has got back to me with a very good website of family history. It seems she was one of the 1820 settlers, sailing on the Weymouth. I think they must have been very brave twenty years before Livingstone.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That's great news. Your ancestor would have had a tough time. How very interesting.

meles

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I too am descended from Henry WARNER and Elisabeth BLACKER, through their daughter Mary WARNER, who married John Bath STAPLES.

You ask what Elizabeth might have been doing in Double Drift at the time of her death :

The Lower Albany Chronicles compiled by E. Morse-Jones records the following :

"June 18th 1840-Elizabeth, wife of Henry WARNER, now Commissariat Storekeeper at Double Drift Post, died there aged 56 years. She was buried at Fort Brown."

A wife's duty to follow her husband ... even if it was to the other side of the world  :)

Which WARNER child is your mom/you descended from?

best wishes
Leanne
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus

Offline annieRN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 November 06 15:22 GMT (UK) »
How exciting Leanne  I am actually descended from Samuel Blacker,  Elizabeth's brother who stayed in Midsummer Norton.

Anne