Author Topic: Manners in Scotland  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Manners in Scotland
« on: Sunday 14 November 04 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi   ::)

I am searching for information about my 7xggrandparents who were believed to be from East Lothian, Scotland.

My dates for them are sketchy except for their marriage date and 2 of their chilrens birthdates.

It is said in the family that most Manners in East Lothian were related. Would appreciate any information.

Facts are:
Alexander Manners married Isabell Ferguson on July 7,1677 in Tranent,East Lothian, Scotland.

Would like some sugesstions on possible sites to check or anything else I can get.

Thanks a lot  ;)
Renee :)
Searching for:
Manners,Ferguson,Hamilton,Sanderson,Wheat,Smith,Tomlinson,Crum,Corse or Croess
Areas of interest: Scotland and England and Ireland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manners in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 04 23:09 GMT (UK) »
The site http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk has the Scotland parish records (Births and marriages) online. It is a pay site but relatively inexpensive. (When you pay the credits last for a period of time, when the time expires you do not lose the credits but have to pay more to access same). At the moment only the OPR indexes are online - They are working to have images available but when? The earliest records available (and there are not too many) - are dated 1553

Their searches allow use of wildcards - this can be very handy to overcome spelling mistakes / transcription errors etc.

A large percentage of their data is in the IGI, so I usually search there first, if not found I then try ScotlandsPeople. Neither site has deaths indexed, so the only way I have found to check burials is film searching at an LDS family centre.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trish251
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 04 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information--what I do have is from the LDS site,but I know most of the information on that site can be faulty,so I like to find other proof.

Ido not know how to pay for something in England and Scotland, and for right now I want to explore sites that aren't pay for.

Thanks for your help---Renee :)
Searching for:

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trish251
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 04 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information--what I do have is from the LDS site,but I know most of the information on that site can be faulty,so I like to find other proof.

Hi Renee

Any information from the IGI is very reliable if  it is specified as "extracted". If it is "submitted" it is only as good as the research by the submitter and this is an unknown factor.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Renee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Manners in Scotland
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 November 04 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Trish,

Thanks for the information on the LDS site. I don't think I have paid attention to the difference between the "Submitted" and the "Extracted" information. I do know that as I was checking on an ancestor, I found two different entries and on one--- the couple married before they were born! On many others I have found different dates and omitted children.

I will pay attention from now on and thanks again---Renee:)
Searching for: