Author Topic: St Mary's in Mold?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Mary's in Mold?
« on: Thursday 23 November 06 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: St Mary's in Mold?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 November 06 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello gransworld,

If you mean, is the photo you originally attached to your post as being of Darfield of St Mary's Mold, no I don't think so - not if it is from the mid-1950s. I came to live in the town in 1956 and I don't remember any ivy or similar growth.

Attached is a more recent pic from the church's own site www.virginmary.cwc.net - I don't think they'll mind. The porch shown is not the only door but it is the only one generally used - the west one in the tower is never opened and the one in the north porch is the vicar's private entrance to his vestry.

It's hard to come by early pics of this south elevation as there was a row of shops in front until about 1959.

Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 November 06 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank  you  I'm  was not   sure  the  church  was  in  Darfield  when  I  orginally  posted .I  know  that  this  family who  I  can't  find  names  for  took Samuel  Hughes  back  to  Mold  for  burial in  1954/5 to  be  burried  with  Elizabeth and  know  that  St Mary's  in  Mold  was a  church  found  in  some  birth  records though   Samuel  and  wife  Elizabeth  Jones  were  married  in Gwernaffield Wales Holy  Trinity,I'm  having  didfficulty  with  the  Mold  connection.
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 November 06 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

It could be Gwernaffield church  - here's a photo with no ivy on the porch, but  I don't remember visiting this one. Gwernaffield was part of Mold parish (latterly Mold Rural parish) and didn't get a parish of its own until the very last reorganisation. Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Ruperta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 January 07 15:03 GMT (UK) »
This church porch looks very like Gwernaffield church.  The ivy has now been removed, but the size and style of the arch and the pillars are the same.
 Ruperta

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 January 07 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank  you  for  this  answer  Gwernaffield  ............this  is  very  possible.
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 January 07 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I have found a photo of Gwernaffield Church I took about 18 months ago which may help you compare images

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline gransworld

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes  Peter  Gwernaffield    looks  the  same  to  me  as  the  church  I  posted  can  you  tell  me  where  I  might  get burial  records  for  there  on  line? or  who  to  contact.
Hughes ...Mold
Griffiths ...Mold

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Photographs of Flintshire Parish Churches are on the Clwyd FHS website. www.clwydfhs.org.uk Have you checked the Genuki page for further details.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire