Author Topic: WATERLOO HELP PLEASE 5 what?  (Read 982 times)

Offline wightlady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WATERLOO HELP PLEASE 5 what?
« on: Saturday 25 November 06 22:26 GMT (UK) »
My research has taken me back to my gg grandfather Henry Hill he was born in Fort Monkton in Portsmouth in 1816.Now I would like to go back further but as I am not familiar with military research I have got stuck.All that I know is that my ggg grandfather was also a Henry Hill and that his wife gave birth in Portsmouth in 1816 this of course does not mean that daddy Henry was around at the time although he most obviously was in 1815!
He is listed on my gg's parish records as being a 'musician in the 5'so has anyone got any ideas as to what the '5' may be and how I can check and would there be any medal records for service that may tell me etc.
Hurst, Coupland, Sharpe, Turner, McAdam, Gray, Vickers, Shaw,
Robinson, Fielding, Nutt, Downes, Bate, Riley.

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: WATERLOO HELP PLEASE 5 what?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 November 06 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi wightlady

I would guess probably The Fifth Foot - The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers.

Check out their history here http://www.army.mod.uk/fusiliers/battalions/1st_battalion/history_of_the_regiment/the_fifth_of_foot.htm

Records of soldiers' service may well be at the National Archives in Kew.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline wightlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 November 06 22:42 GMT (UK) »
hi Bill thanks for the reply I also thought the 5th foot that was about the only place that i could think to start but when I contacted them they informed me that they were off acting as Wellington's body guard at the time and not in the country.Also the clergy man that made this entry(through looking at the other entries that he made) was VERY particular as to how he made his entries down to every tiny piece of punctuation and he has made this very clear that this is the  5  not the 5th .any ideas as to this?

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 06 22:53 GMT (UK) »
The 5th Foot were in Belgium but weren't actually present at Waterloo, so they won't be listed on the medal roll unfortunately.

Don't forget the cavalry. Another possibility would be the 5th Dragoon Guards (who were in the UK at the time)

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline wightlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 November 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks neil good point its certainly worth a look . the fact that he was a musician wouldn't be any indication would it?and do you know the answer as to were there any medals attatched to this campain that could point me in the right direction.