Author Topic: Peter Parkinson, Flogging & Leeds Quarter sessions  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Colin Parkinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Peter Parkinson, Flogging & Leeds Quarter sessions
« on: Monday 15 November 04 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find earlier information on Peter Parkinson tried Epiphany Session for Leeds 9th January 1832. Was Convicted to Australia for 7 years.  On Court records shows former conviction - Flogged. Details of offence for flogging sought and birth or early details of Peter appreciated. Thought to be born circa 1815 born Yorkshire.
Colin

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Parkinson, Flogging & Leeds Quarter sessions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 March 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 March 05 23:36 BST (UK) »
You could always try the following Aus. convict links and or passenger listings.  A google search for passenger lists australia and or convict lists

http://www.convicttrail.org/about.php

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/con-wa.html

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5978/Emigration.html

and there are lots more - one of them may be what you want

good luck

Carol
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk
Wakefield Family History Sharing
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline Colin Parkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 April 05 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,
Thank you for your pointers. I have a distant cousin in Australia who is checking what is available over in Australia. We are trying to see what may be available in the UK bearing in mind Peter Parkinson was tried in Yorkshire - we are trying to find his roots here.
I appreciate your help and interest.
Thank you.
Colin

Offline genjunction

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 April 05 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Just as an afterthought, I have quite a few of them these days, I blame it on my husband.

A Couple of  colourful people who share the same surname, not sure if they are family or not yet, were tried in Wakefield.

One in particular was before the judge in January, February and April (can't remember the year but it was pre 1830, without getting the file out).

In January he was sent to prison for 2 weeks for stealing a flitch of bacom, some butter, sugar.

In February he was sent to prison for 2 week for stealing similar items, all being food or clothing  and publicly flogged on the nearest market day after his 2 weeks were up.  He may have served 2 weeks and a few days, depending on whether it meant normal market or cattle market.

In April I think  the Judge was totally cheesed off and he did his time but was also sent to Aus for seven years.  Again for stealing very minor items.

What I am saying is that I have copies of the Quarter Sessions giving info on what was stolen, who from and where from and who were the witnesses.

If you email the West Yorkshire Archives at Newstead Road, Wakefield they will I am sure be able to assist in giving more info.  They will charge for their time etc. 

A Google search for West Yorkshire Archives will bring them up, and the site is easy to work around.

regard again

Carol
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk
Wakefield Family History Sharing
 :)
Siddle, Sklinar, Officer, Hebden, Riach, Younie, Mitchell aka McKandie, Algar, Wilkinson, Haverson, Mucklow,
www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

Offline Colin Parkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 April 05 08:43 BST (UK) »
Carol,
Thank you again for your help. The information looks interesting and I will try the West Yorkshire Archives.
Many thanks
Colin