Author Topic: Enos & Ellen Jones to Dunedin before 1879  (Read 4570 times)

Offline DelB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Enos & Ellen Jones to Dunedin before 1879
« on: Tuesday 16 November 04 01:11 GMT (UK) »
My Great-grandfather Enos Jones migrated to New Zealand after 1876 and before 1879 but we haven't been able to track his voyage as yet.
He was born 1853 or 1854 Whittington Moor Derbyshire and his wife Ellen Green was born June 1859 Chesterfield Derbyshire. Enos was a brickmaker and we think he came for work when jobs were scarce in Derbyshire.

They migrated with one son William Jones born 1876 Derbyshire and the next child Sarah was born in Dunedin in 1879, Hannah (Lucy) born 1881, Charles, 1882, Ellen 1884, also Dunedin.
Enos was killed in an accident on board ship in Dunedin Bay 6.1.1885. 
We have the Coroner's report of his death, and we also have a letter written by him to his parents who had migrated to Canada describing a voyage from Brisbane to Sydney, Melbourne and then New Zealand, including a shipwreck off Brisbane, in Moreton Bay. No date on the letter!!
I have tried to track the shipwreck but only one in 1874 is recorded and I think that is too early.
Can anyone help with this one please?  It has puzzled us for many years.  Would they be regarded as arrivals in Australia?
Thanks, DelB

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Enos & Ellen Jones to Dunedin before 1879
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Del

My understanding of the Victorian immigrants list is that any passengers on board a ship that passed through Melbourne are mentioned.
http://proarchives.imagineering.com.au/index_search.asp?searchid=23

Thus said - there are many Jone's for the period mentioned. I couldn't find your given names with the correct ages - but again there are many Mr, Mrs, Child with, Infant with, so they could be there.

This site  http://www.qmma.ecn.net.au/  Qld maritime museum advertises that it does research. 

"On behalf of members of the public the Queensland Maritime Museum carries out research on all aspects of Queensland’s and Australia’s maritime history as well as on maritime matters generally.  Upon the receipt of a research inquiry a fee is assessed depending on the time estimated for the necessary research and the inquirer is advised accordingly.  Simple inquiries may be attended to within one or two weeks, but more detailed requests will take longer.  The inquiries received most frequently relate to shipwrecks in Queensland and Australian waters and the immigrant ships of the Nineteenth and early Twentieth Centuries.  Local maritime history also features to a significant extent in public inquiries."

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DelB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 November 04 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish for that very prompt reply!!
I didn't know the Victorian records were done that way so that's a big help.
Good to know also I can have that search done for a fee.
Many thanks for your help.
Del

Offline jojo8593

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I know this post is now 10 years old and I am not sure if you have solved this mystery, but...
Enos Jones is my great-great grandfather and I have been searching for his trip to New Zealand for a long time.
I have discovered the following Jones' on the Dilharree which arrived in Queensland in 1876.
this is from http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx
JONES  Ellen   19   Dilharree   14 Aug 1876   1164   18477   Z1959   M1698
JONES  Enos   22   Dilharree   14 Aug 1876   1164   18477   Z1959   M1698
JONES  John   29   Dilharree   14 Aug 1876   1164   18477   Z1959   M1698
JONES  William   20   Dilharree   14 Aug 1876   1164   18477   Z1959   M1698

The last numbers are the film numbers. Not sure if there is any relationship with the John and William but Enos and Ellen's ages match.
Also found this by searching "Dilharee" at trove.nla.gov.au and got this account of the voyage:

Immigration.
THE barque Dilharree, 1293 tons, Captain M'Neilly, anchored inside Cape Moreton on August 11, after a voyage of 91 days. She brings 326 immigrants, under the charge of Dr. de Zouche, surgeon-superintendent and Mrs. Currey, matron. They comprise 7 full-paying, 102 assisted, 181 free, and 26 remittance passengers; their nationalities are : 188 English, 181 Irish, and 7 other countries. The occupations represented comprise—48 female domestic servants, 88 farm laborers, 2 engine-drivers, 1 butcher, 2 carpenters, 5 engineers, 15 miners, 2 coopers, 4 blacksmiths, 1 bricklayer, 1 sawyer, 4 carpenters, 1 wheelwright, and 10 miscellaneous. They arrived at the Queen's wharf by the Settler at three o'clock on Monday afternoon, and on the whole are evidently a very suitable lot of colonists. Dr. de Zouche reports that the general health of the passengers was good, and the pas-
sage pleasant, notwithstanding the ship having been so deeply laden that the ports could not be
kept properly open, thus entailing extra work in attending to the sanitary condition of the ves-
sel There were three deaths during the voyage—Berte Olsen, 61, of exhaustion; and Thomas
Mangnall and Olivia Cambourn, infants, of debility — and there were four births. Upon
landing, the immigrants presented the doctor and Mrs. Curry, the matron, with testimonials
expressive of their gratitude for the care each had evinced for their comfort and health during
the trip.

I then noted the births on board and thought that maybe the birth of William was recorded in Queensland, and guess what, it is!

From https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

1876   B21296   William Henry   Jones   Enos   Ellen Green

So then I though maybe Sarah was also born here as I could not find a record of her birth in New Zealand and yay!

1878   C1938   Sarah Ann   Jones   Enos   Ellen Green

So they definitely stayed in Queensland for a bit. The B at the start of the reference number for William means the birth was registered in Brisbane.
The C in front of the number for Sarah means the birth was registered in a country district.

I have a copy of Ellen Jones (my great-grandmother's) birth certificate if you would like a copy.

I would love a copy of the letter you said you have that Enos wrote to his parents if you would be willing to scan and send it to me.
 If so, respond to this post and I will give you my email address.
Joanne

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline DelB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 14 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne.  I think we were in contact years ago but I have lost your e-mail address.  I would be very happy to send you the transcript of the letter sent to me by Barb in Canada.  She has the original.  I can also send you the info I have since discovered including the fact Enos & Ellen lived in Brisbane for a time! I did find the birth of Sarah in Brisbane but I must have the wrong birth for William as I thought he was born in Derbyshire.
Nice to hear from you.
Del

Offline jojo8593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 December 14 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I also remember being in contact with you. My email address is (*).
If you email me, I will email you the birth certificate of Ellen Jones (born in New Zealand in 1884)
Regards,   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Jo

Offline jojo8593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 December 14 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Also, thanks John for the burial details.

I also discovered that Ellen Jones (nee Green) remarried to a WR Chappell. I found this by examining the Boer War records of Charles Lewis Jones at

http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/SearchScreens/BasicSearch.aspx

and discovered his next of kin was his mother Mrs WR Chappell.

I cannot find a record of the marriage though in either Queensland, New South Wales or New Zealand.

Then I found a lot of memorials of her death at trove.nla.gov.au. (She died 7th March 1909)

Regards,
Jo