Author Topic: lost in canadian genealogy sites  (Read 13939 times)

Offline SarahSarah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lost in canadian genealogy sites
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 04:32 BST (UK) »
@renfrewboy
I tried to message you but your message box is full…
I have some other answers for…
We have no real coat of arms or kilt as the McGourlick family originally comes from Ireland.  There’s a general kilt that is adopted for the area where the family moved to in Scotland but it’s not a lineage kilt. According to old research, the McGourlick’s may be a fork from the Kennedy clan but from what I found it’s not concrete.
Anyway, message me and I’ll give you my email to keep in touch.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 05:46 BST (UK) »

Offline SarahSarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 06:24 BST (UK) »
Yes- I spoke to my distant cousin Jordan after seeing this article.  Uncle Don flew more times than anyone else from Canada in wwII- by multiples. Luckily he survived even the last flight. Everyone else that flew with him died. They declared him dead because he was shot and missing for months. The French resistance kept him alive. He was a nice and upbeat man. He was extremely close to his brother- my grandfather. And he took care of him while he was dying.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 29 October 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
Donald Francis McGourlick was quite the fellow! What an amazing life story! He also continued to fly & help others...Thanks bbart for posting the link.

SarahSarah, re: your reply below, I'm surprised that this was taught under the guise of "history". Can you please tell me the book from which this information was taken & in what Province it was taught?
   Many male settlers married native women because they thought they would be entitled to more land and rights- which they weren’t. I didn’t say they were smart!!!
We learned about this in grade 7 history… it was very common.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline SteeleSteele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 29 October 22 17:50 BST (UK) »
My grandfather (eldest son of Agnes) is the cousin who inherited the McGourlick homestead. It is still in the family. 

Agnes(1897-1987), (Don’s sister) was my great grandmother. I assume she was named after her mother.
She married Albert E. Steele. 

I do not know much about the McGourlick side and just learned of Don and his incredible life.

Hi! ... The Gull Lake McGourlick's are my family...they actually got the homestead or "free land" from the original colonializations of the prairie provinces...to originally try to to obtain more Canadian rights my ancestor McGourlick married a Cree woman in Saskatchewan in the 1700's.....I have a very old picture if you're interested. BTW, the McGourlick's started spelling the name this way over a hundred years ago. The other half of the family spells it different...I'll try to find out what it is again.
My grandfather, boxer, Bill (William) ...and I only remember my uncle Donald who is still alive in BC. My Dad's cousin inherited the Gull lake homestead. We are also written and featured in a Settler's of Saskatchewan book as well...pictures and all.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat SteeleSteele! Can you post one more reply, as you need more than one post to get in touch with Sarah through private messages.  Once you have, just hit the circle with the scroll under the username to the left of each post. 
  ( Noted that 2 other on this thread only posted once, and sadly missed out on all the replies since )
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline SteeleSteele

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 03 November 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
Certainly .