Author Topic: Deaths on Jersey, 1846-1861, ASHELFORD  (Read 2984 times)

Offline RuthLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Deaths on Jersey, 1846-1861, ASHELFORD
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 07:14 GMT (UK) »
I would like to find out if William ASHELFORD, (b. about 1783, Somerset) died on Jersey - probably St. Helier - by the 1851 census of St. Helier, when his wife, Sarah ASHFORD was identified as a widow, and mother-in-law to Thomas BRENTON (who had married Sarah ASHELFORD two weeks prior to the census). 

I would like to find out if  ASHELFORD/ASHILFORD/etc. persons died on Jersey between 1851 and 1861, particularly:

Sarah ASHELFORD b. 1780s (wife/widow of William)
Isaac ASHELFORD  b. about 1809 Somerset
Mary or Mary Ann ASHELFORD (wife of Isaac)
Jane ASHELFORD b. about 1835 Somerset (dau. of Isaac)
Charlotte ASHELFORD b. 1838 Somerset (dau. of Isaac)

I can't find the above named ASHELFORD persons anywhere in 1861.  Isaac was a son of William and Sarah ASHELFORD, and Isaac was on Alderney in 1851.  No record of his death on Alderney, but he may have joined his mother, sister, or brother (Francis) on Jersey.  There may be another one or two ASHELFORD deaths, probably children of whom I have no record.

I would appreciate any help with a search for these deaths.
Ruth
USA

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths on Jersey, 1846-1861, ASHELFORD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 February 07 23:44 GMT (UK) »
hi i recenly found out one of my relations married a francis ashelford he was born in alderney abt 1856 probably not 1 of yours but i thought i would ask 1901 cencus living in st hellier david

Offline RuthLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 07 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi David-
This would be one of the family.  Francis Ashelford b. about 1856 Alderney, was the son of Francis Ashelford and his wife, Hannah Bragg.  Francis (Jr.) married Caroline ___ and I would appreciate learing her surname, to fill in that blank.  Their children were on Jersey during WW II and perhaps descendants are still there.  If you should know of a descendant of theirs, I would greatly appreciate name and address.  (I wrote to the only Ashelford in the current phone book almost a year ago but had no reply.)
Ruth
USA

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 07 11:44 GMT (UK) »
hi thats great news i dont know a lot about the ashelford family i only found out a couple of weeks ago after getting a copy of the will of caroline smith who married william ball in st hellier jersey four of her daughters were mentioned in the will one being caroline ann ball wife of f j ashelford = william ball is my great great grandad born in st johns cornwell moved to jersey i live in plymouth area of south devon if there is anything you need looked up at record office for this area feel free to ask i have never seen a picture of any of caroline ball or francis ashelford and there children i hope you dont mind me asking if you have any i can look at i love black and white photos u have made my weekend david

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 07 12:21 GMT (UK) »
hi forgot to mention caroline ann ball had a brother arthur archer ball he married kate elizabeth hawkins they had a daughter gladys nora ball she is my grandmother thats her picture ihave installed david

Offline RuthLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David-
Thanks for the surname of Caroline Ball.  Sorry, I have no pictures of this branch of the family.  Pictures are rare treasures that we are lucky to have or find. 

Francis Jonathan Ashelford and wife, Caroline (Ball), had the following known children:

1. Gertrude b. about 1881, unmarried in 1940

2. Francis William b. 1882, d. after 1940

3. Frederick H. b. about 1885, d. after 1940, m. Lillian Romeril.

4. Caroline b. about 1887 (may have married a Ball? Or is this confused with her mother??)

5. Ernest Wilfred b. 1888, d. after 1940

6. Charles O. b. about 1892, died 1917 in service WW I, buried Pas de Calais, France.

I found Francis Jonathan Ashelford's will details of 1921 and children's WW II Jersey registrations of the 1940s on http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je

Francis had a brother, Edwin John Ashelford, who also raised a family on Jersey.

I descend from a cousin of Francis Jonathan Ashelford, but I am trying to locate all the uncles, aunts, and cousins and find out what happened to them - someone somewhere may have stories, letters, or memories. 

Several related Ashelford families came from Somerset to the Channel Islands in the 1840s - all but one left by 1861.
Ruth
USA

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 07 09:50 GMT (UK) »
hiruth thanks for all that info your very kind i havnt given up on finding any pictures of the ball family  if i do find one with caroline on i will email it to u if you wish i know its a 500-1 shot but you never know if you want any more info on caroline balls family i would be happy to send it to you forgot to mention caroline balls father william ball had a dairy in great union rd st hellier it is now a ski shop david  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline RuthLA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 07 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi David-
You are very welcome.  I know I like to have the children of a family for my own records, and it can help in tracing them in later years, and connecting people who may turn up looking.   Francis Ashelford (Jr.), Caroline's husband, was a printer at 65 New Street, St. Helier, in 1891 and 1901 censuses.
Ruth

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 07 07:30 GMT (UK) »
many thanks david