Author Topic: Clara Butt : Concert Singer -moved to Gloucestershire 2/1/2015  (Read 16545 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Clara Butt : Concert Singer -moved to Gloucestershire 2/1/2015
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
The family stories that have been passed down over the years has my  Gr Grandfather being related to the actress and concert singer Clara Butt (1872-1936). I understand, aged two, she returned to her fathers (Henry Albert Butt) home in Jersey where she lived until about 1880. My Gr Grandfather gave his daughter the middle name of Butt so it might not just be a made up story.

Does anyone have a family tree for Clara or is related that maybe able to help

Many thanks.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Butt : Concert Singer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi wdytya  :D

The first thing to do would be to establish your G-Grandfather's ancestry and siblings etc. and work out any relationship that way.

Do you have your G-Grandfather's birth certificate, census returns etc?

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest, I found this page about Clara.  Doesn't really give info about family though:

http://www.cantabile-subito.de/Contraltos/Butt__Clara/butt__clara.html

Thsi one gives a bit more:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0z4/ 

Prue

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 06 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Prue

The problem is that this is a family story that has been passed down over the years. The other problem is that the Gr Grandfather in question changed his name after falling out with the family and leaving to join the army ( another story passed down)

I think I am going down a blind alley with this one but thanks for your interest.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Never say never!  :D  There is always hope...what was your g-grandfather's name and dates; that would be a good place to start.  If there is a connection I'm sure we can find it. :)

Prue

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 06 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue

It would be a miracle if you found anything given I have little information, this is what I know........
I have his marriage certificate which is dated 1904 and he was aged 28. I also have a death notice where he died in a works accident in 1925 aged 53, so born 1875/1876. On his marriage certificate his is shown in the army in Clarence barracks Portsmouth. His father is recorded as Simeon Adams (deceased)
Butcher Journeyman. If he was born in Jersey ( cannot find any record on free bmd in the UK) not sure how to find a birth record (in Jersey) and if it showed a Samuel Adams then the story about him changing his name would be dismissed. If it is true then i cannot see how to find his real name. If he was a cousin of Clara Butt it is not necesarily he was a Butt as he could be on the family side of one of the family Butt's marriage partners.

Quite a mystery and one I fear will remain so given the sparse information I have, but thanks for your interest.

Jon
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline psj21360

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 January 08 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I can throw some light on the Clara Butt family tree as my great-grandfather was allegedly related to her (a hand-me-down story about Philip Butt who was born in Castle Combe in Wiltshire and emigrated to Australia). I recently checked out Clara Butt's genealogy and set up a family tree "Dame Clara Butt family Tree" at ancestry.com. I also established that my great-grandfather was NOT related as his father came from Birlingham, Worcestershire.

Anyway here goes:
Clara Ellen Butt born 1 Feb 1872 in Southwick, Sussex, England. The Birth Index for England & Wales (1837-1983) lists the particulars of the registration of her birth as: 1872, January-March, District of Steyning, County of Sussex, Volume 2b, page 296.

Her father was HENRY ALBERT BUTT. He was born on 13th January 1848 in St. Martin, on Jersey, one of the Channel Islands. Her mother was Clara Hook.

HENRY ALBERT BUTT was married to CLARA HOOK in St. Michael’s Church, Southwick in 1869 in Shoreham, County of Sussex, England. The Marriage Index for England (1837-1983) lists the particulars of the marriage as: 1869, October-December, District of Steyning, County of Sussex, Volume 2b, page 469.
They were the parents of these children:

•   HENRY ALBERT BUTT (1870-1880).
•   CLARA ELLEN BUTT (1872-1936).
•   FREDERICK BUTT (1875- ).
•   FRANCES CHARLOTTE BUTT (1876- ).
•   HERBERT BLANCHFORD BUTT (1877- ).
•   ALBERT HENRY BUTT (1878- ).
•   WILFRED LAWSON BUTT (1880- ).
•   EVA PAULINE BUTT (1882- ).
•   WARWICK GLADSTONE BUTT (1883-1924).
•   ETHEL BUTT (1886- ).
•   HAZEL ANTOINETTE BUTT (1889- ).

After Henry married Clara Hook they had their first 2 children in Southwick, Sussex. Then in 1874 relocated to Jersey where at least 2 more children were born. By 1878 they relocated again to Bristol.
Henry Butt appears in the 1851 and 1861 census on Jersey (available at ancestry.com), and then in subsequent census records in England. Clara Butt appears in the 1881, 1891 and 1901 national census records.

HENRY ALBERT BUTT was the son of JAMES BUTT, born on 11th June 1815 at the village of St. Helens on the Isle of Wight. His mother was MARY ANN KENNEDY, born 22nd March 1814 at Gosport, in the County of Hampshire, England.

The siblings of HENRY ALBERT BUTT (hence offspring of James Butt and Mary Ann Kennedy) include:

•   ELEN BUTT (1840- ).
•   JAMES BENJAMIN BUTT (1842- ).
•   WILLIAM LUIE BUTT (1843-1918).
•   JOHN RICHARD BUTT (1845-1847).
•   RICHARD EDWARD BUTT (1850-1852).
•   MARY ANN BUTT (1851- ).
•   FRANCES BUTT (1854- ).

CLARA HOOK was born on the 24th June 1851 in Shoreham, Sussex, England to JOSEPH HOOK (1815-1888) and PAULINA HOOK (Maiden surname unknown) (1813-1870). The Birth Index for England (1837-1983) lists the particulars of the registration of Clara Hook’s birth as: 1851, July-September, District of Steyning, County of Sussex, Volume 7, page 481.
Clara Hook had the following siblings:
•   Joseph Hook (1841- ).
•   Dorinda Hook (1845- ).
•   Thomas Hook (1848- ).
•   Anna (also known as Jane Anna) Hook (1849- ).

It is possible that she also had other older siblings that were born in the late 1820s and during the 1830s. Her father JOSEPH HOOK had had a career as a sailor but by 1881 (as noted in the national census) he was a widowed pauper working in the Steyning Union Workhouse in Shoreham, Sussex. Her grandfather was THEODORE EDWARD HOOK (1788-1841) who was a humorist and novelist associated with creating the fictional figure of John Bull in his journalistic satires about Queen Caroline and the Whig Party. Theodore Hooke formed a relationship with an Irish woman Mary Ann Doughty whom he never married but had with her at least five children. Theodore Hook died in great debt.

Clara Butt’s grandfather was JAMES BUTT. He was born on 11 June 1815 at the village of St. Helens, on the Isle of Wight, in the County of Hampshire, England. He was the son of RICHARD BUTT, born in 1784, and christened on the 25th February 1784 at the Church of England in the village of Godshill, on the Isle of Wight, in the County of Hampshire and SARAH MATTHEWS who was born in 1782 at the village of St. Helens, on the Isle of Wight, in the County of Hampshire, England.

Clara Butt’s great-grandfather was RICHARD BUTT. He was born in early 1784 and christened on the 25th February 1784 at the Church of England in the village of Godshill, on the Isle of Wight, in the County of Hampshire. He was the son of JOHN BUTT, born in late 1742 and christened 23rd January 1743 at the Church of England in the village of Godshill, on the Isle of Wight, in the County of Hampshire, and ANN RIDDETT, born in 1743 and christened on 6th September 1743 at the Church of England in the village of Shalfleet, on the Isle of Wight, in the County of Hampshire.

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 08 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks psj for the excellent information about the Butt family, I really appreciate you taking the trouble to reply to my posting.

I am still wondering, like in your search for a Butt connection, that it is just a family story that is incorrect.

Thanks again.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline kingpindgk

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I was searching about Dame Clara Butt and was very interested to find this site and so done searching for information about her as I am related to her through my mother. Not to sure what my mothers relationship was to her but think her mother was a cousin to her. My mother passed away a few years ago but will contact her sister to find out exactly how.