Author Topic: 1891/1901 Census - DILLEY  (Read 10774 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshunt (Park) - Dilley 1891/1901 census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:40 GMT (UK) »

Now don't expect this every time  ;D ;D ;D ;D

John Adams - 37 - Publican & Haybinder - Cheshunt
Elizabeth - 37 - Publican's wife - Brickendon - Deaf
Mary A - 12 - Cheshunt
George - 9 - Haybinder & Errand boy - Cheshunt
William - 7 - Cheshunt
Maria - 4 - Cheshunt
Elizabeth - 2 - Cheshunt.

I only put next to the Sun and the last one for information but here they lived at
The Rising Sun
Cheshunt

RG9/802
F168 P21

Good luck with that lot!!

Cheers

Keith

Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:42 GMT (UK) »

Missed one on the next page - presume not related
John A Cooledge - lodger - Mason's Lab - Hatfield.

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:46 GMT (UK) »

And just to complete the set  ;)

John Adams - 26 - Ag Lab - Cheshunt
Elizabeth - 27 - Brickendon
Mary A - 2 - Cheshunt
Emma Dennis - Nurse Child - 4 - Hertford, Herts.

HO107/1704
F297 P22

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:53 GMT (UK) »
What is your I.O.M. connection, I am a member of the I.O.M. FHS, are you?

I get the magazine quarterly, it has quiet a lot of interesting articles.  

I am a bit stuck with that side, have got back quite a way with the Quayle name but my G G Granfather died about 1872 aged only about 29 and his wife and children left the island and came to Barrow in Furness (which in that era was a boom town and recruited miners from all over the place, Cornwall, I.O.M., etc) I really need to send for his death certificate to see what he died of - my mum always said it was a mining accident.  I know about his parents and siblings and my G G Grandmother from arriving in Barrow.

I have a book that was written by George E Quayle titled 'Legends of a Lifetime - Aspects of Manx Life'  He was supposed to be a bit of a tall story writer (which is strange because my maiden name was Ritson - don't know if I am related to 'The biggest liar' Ritson, they still hold a competition at Wasdale every year for the title.)

In the book by G Quayle he relates many stories of people in the Isle of Man from the late 1800's, my mum met him as an old man about 1980.  George was the son of my G G Grandfather's brother, I read the book hoping to find some titbits about my ancestors but he mostly talks about his mother's side.

If you give me your Manx names I will look through and see if there are any anecdotes about them.

Thanks Keith.

Carol

I really cannot keep up with your responses, I can see I am going to be busy for a while typing these answers into a timeline.
Thank you again Keith.
Jury: Rodgerson: Fisher: Dilley: Adams: Ritson: Riding: Hayes: Bilsborrow: Birkett: Smith: Quayle: Tomlinson

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:57 GMT (UK) »

Why can't I find my lot as easy as this!!  :(

George Adams - 40 - Ag Lab - Y (born in county)
Lydia - 40 - Y
John - 15 - Ag Lab - Y
Percival - 14 - Y
Elizabeth - 11 - Y
Sarah - 6 - Y

Burnham Green
Cheshunt

HO107/444/12
F28 P10

Right will leave you to find the marriage of John Adams and Elizabeth around 1845 nr Hertford??

Cheers

Keith

P.S. Just seen your reply - will something later  ;)

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 December 06 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Regarding the Isle of Man - no member of anything - just have Isabella Faragher born there - have a look here for her details

http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/p42.htm#i349

I thought when I found that name - in Barrow!! - it would be easy to find her in the Isle of Man   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Didn't realise it was the equivalent of Smith in this country - didn't even know how to pronounce the name until Ruth Corris sent me this link on my page here:
http://batemans-history.rootschat.net/mcburnieandpartingtons.htm

I may have a Quirk in the family as well - Isabella's grandmother - but I think some of these are educated guesses - have a look sometime ( after you have written up all the details I found for you!! ;))

Ohh see yours is Quayle - not Quirk!!  :-[

Right - drink and then bed I think

Nite

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 December 06 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Wow Keith I can't keep up with you, thanks again.

Looking back to 1851, I wonder who Elizabeth Dennis was and does nurse child just mean that they gave her a home? Or is it like the 'Wet Nurse' in the old days?  I wonder whose child she was - perhaps a brother or sister's child?

Thanks, you have taken me back 40 years in less minutes

Carol
Jury: Rodgerson: Fisher: Dilley: Adams: Ritson: Riding: Hayes: Bilsborrow: Birkett: Smith: Quayle: Tomlinson

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 December 06 01:16 GMT (UK) »

Nurse child "usually" was just a child taken in - orphan or similar - could be a relation but not usual - keep an eye out for that name in earlier marriage tho!!

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jukebox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 December 06 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Keith, I am indebted to you and will look through my book to see if I can spot your names in the I.O.M, you should visit the website, can I send you a link or not, you don't have to be a member of the FHS to visit it and there are lots of helpful people there.  I will be busy for ages typing all the info you have given me, where did you get it all? Do you subscribe to Ancestry?  I am thinking of asking my husband for a subscription for Christmas, he keeps asking me what I want and that is the only thing I would like - but don't want to spend the money on.

Goodnight and God Bless

Carol