Author Topic: Change of direction  (Read 841 times)

Offline juju9999uk

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy hunting
    • View Profile
Change of direction
« on: Saturday 09 December 06 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
So far I have gone back to my gt grandfather Walter Taylor (Moore).
He was born about 1842, Norfolk according to the 1901, 1891, 1881 census.
His marriage cert says Walter Taylor Moore married Ann Hardisty in 1873, and that his father is George Taylor, Cattle Dealer.
I found him as far back as the 1881 Census in Welburn, Malton, under the name of Taylor.
Then nothing....
Figuring that the first census he would appear in would be the 1851 census, his birthplace being Norfolk, that is where I began my search.
I did find a George Taylor, cattle dealer and lots of children, two partners.
In 1841 he was with Ann Moore, 9 children. In 1851, 1861, he was with Elizabeth and 5 More children. It was with this woman a Walter first appears,  in the 1861 census aged 4. Hmm, I thought maybe the age is wrong on the other census. Then checked the 1881 census Norfolk and there is Walter is aged 28.
While my Walter who was married and lived in Welburn, Malton, is 38 in 1881, 47 in 1891, 57 in 1901.
Ok, I thought, two Walters...
I could find no birth record and only a possible death 1925, Walter Moore (otherwise Taylor) aged 88.
Then I came across an entry for Walter Taylor christened 21 April 1844, Rotherham, Yks. Father George Taylor Mother Mary Ann. That got me wondering if the George from Norfolk was his father. I have gone round in circles for so long now I'm getting dizzy.
Could some kind soul have a look for George Taylor and Mary Ann with son Walter in the 1851/1861 census in the Rotherham area.
Happy Hunting
Regards
Juju

My Names:
Hope, Taylor, Taylor-Moore, Moore, Galley, Lockett, Wright, Crowfoot, Sharratt & Wood.

In Areas:
Cheshire, Yorkshire, Norfolk, London