Author Topic: irish roots  (Read 1302 times)

Offline stephanbanks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
irish roots
« on: Monday 11 December 06 19:57 GMT (UK) »
i have a help forum set up and one of the questions i have been asked is :

I have always been told that my family tree will be impossible to do because both my parents are from southern Ireland and that the records were burnt .... is this true or can it still be done ?

can anyone answer this for me ????

all help greatly appreciated

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: irish roots
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 December 06 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephan

Can I suggest that you look at the Irish boards, to see what resources are available for the specific area that your correspondent in interested in?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,385.0.html

It could be, as with so many others, they don't know where the family came from?  This is going to be vital information if any progress is to be made.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline stephanbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 December 06 21:18 GMT (UK) »
thank you i have passed on wat you have said im just waiting for them to get back to me

stephan

Offline stephanbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 December 06 21:59 GMT (UK) »
i have just received this email

my fathers family are from cork and name is kelleher and my mother is from dublin and her name is McCann but my mother father ( Patrick Thomas McCann)was an only childs his father was killed in the 1st world war. my nan,s maiden name was Mary Sheridan and she was also from dublin ........ is this any help

stephan

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 December 06 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Stephan

This is probably not something you can sort with one thread.

I suggest that you get you correspondent to tell you everything they know about their family, including dates and places, with any certificates or other documents they have already found to support the facts.

You could try posting on the Armed Forces board for the relative who died in the War (do you have a service number or an idea of which regiment?)

You could post on the Cork board for the KELLEHERs and the Dublin board for the MCCANNs, but please do not post details of living people.  Dates and places of birth will be important to tell the correct family from the many others sharing the same surname.

The most important thing is to find out as much as possible before posting and to include this detail when you make your request.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)