Author Topic: Denbigh Hospital records.  (Read 9328 times)

AK

Denbigh Hospital records.
« on: Friday 15 December 06 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know the whereabouts of records of patients at the Denbigh Hospital?

An ancestor of mine was said to have been in there at the time of her death (one Blanche Osborne, nee Ackerley). My late mother told me at first that Blanche committed suicide. This was denied subsequently and then told she died of a brain tumour in Denbigh Hospital. Knowing about the hospital, this sounds unlikely.

Think her death was in the 1950s. The whole thing is shrouded in mystery which makes me think she did commit suicide.

Any ideas on where the records are for this period?

AK

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Denbigh Hospital records.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 December 06 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

If it is just the cause of death then it is probably simpler to obtain a copy death certificate.
If you want more information (if available) then I suggest you contact Denbighshire Record Office in Ruthin tel. no 01824 708250.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 December 06 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The records are most likely to be at the Conwy and Denbighshire NHS Trust:

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/orgdets.cfm?lid=4wx89&orgid=115

but I'm not sure if you would be able to get access. it would be best to obtain the death cert as Peter has said.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
  • member of both Gwynedd and Clwyd Family History
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 December 06 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
When I was looking for my gt uncle's death record at the same hospital the Denbighshire record gave me this advice:

'Patient records less than 100 years old can only be seen with the consent of the appropriate medical authorities. Check with  Mrs Jan Roberts, medical Supervisor, Ablett Unit, ysbyty Glan Clwyd, Bodelwyddan.  LL18 5UJ.

The Denbighshire Records office do however have the death records for Denbigh Hospital up to 1963, so you should get some info there.

I emailed and had a very quick and positive result.

Titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline titch

• RootsChat Member
  • member of both Gwynedd and Clwyd Family History
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 December 06 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to give you the amail address!

archives@denbighshire.gov.uk

Tel: 01824 708250

Cheers
Titch
Williams, Roberts, Jones, in Merioneth,  Flintsshire, Denbigh and Caernarfonshire, Hughes in Caernarfonshire and Liverpool , Arnold, Mongomeryshire, Caernarfon and Denbighshire
Higgins in Kent/Essex

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

AK

« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 December 06 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help given regarding this.

I will contact the Health Authority to see what they say. I was told that Blanche had 3 children but no idea as to where these are. My chances of accessing the records may be slight but I can prove a family relationship.

I cannot find her death, or in fact, her marriage. This does not help matters. I know that her birth, Blanche Ackerley, was registered in Holyhead in 1897. I was told she married George Osborne ( not sure of spelling) and this was around Llandudno/Conwy in c1924. Other than this, she is said to have died in the 1950s. There is some mystery surrounding this as outlined previously.

Will pursue as there were other details, family skeletons so to speak, which make me curious.

AK

Offline Ardwyn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I recently found the death of one of my husband's relations in the 1950's at Denbigh Hospital by looking through the burials in Denbigh Cemetery - Denbigh Records Office have them on microfilm. Once you have established a date of burial, the records office will look to see if there is a record of the death in the hospital records they hold. They then gave me the non-confidential details from the record, such as the date of death and what the person died of (stuff you would find on the death certificate anyway) - if you want to view any of the records held on the person, you then need to contact the Medical Records Officer.

Regards,
Buffy
Arden, Millington, Robinson, Willis - Cheshire
Goodwin, Edwards, Thomas, Jones, Cooper - Flintshire/Denbighshire
Edgoose/Edmunds - Hampshire/Surrey/East Anglia
Arnold/Blundell/Down - Surrey/Dorset/Wiltshire
Hartshorn - Hertfordshire, Kent, London
Self - London/Surrey

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
Birth Mar qtr 1897
Ackerley  Blanch Pexton     Holyhead  11b 505

Marriages Jun 1924     :)

Ackerley  Blanche P.   Osborne  Conway  11b 840   
Osborne  George E.  Ackerley  Conway  11b 840

Deaths after 1950  can only by found by searching the indexes year by year. Lucky enough it`s quite an unusual name.

Modified   ;D ;D ;D Got her, and it only took 40 minutes.  ::)
Death.
Blanche P Osborne aged 60  Anglesey W.  8a 21

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/anglesey%20west.html

Now  ??? I had thought that a death had to registered within 5 days in the District where it happened.
Denbigh is on the mainland.  Hopefully the certificate will solve it for you.

Also, there`s a chance that there could be an obituary or a report in the local paper, if there was an inquest then you can`t get your hands on it anyway.

See also this thread.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376369.0.html
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)