Author Topic: Waterman Captain, what kind of boat where from and to.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Waterman Captain, what kind of boat where from and to.
« on: Friday 15 December 06 20:00 GMT (UK) »
On the 1851 Chester Census, my GGG Grandfather William Woodworth age 45 was shown as a Waterman Captain. Does anyone know what kind of boat he was a captain of.

he lived in Handbridge Chester so he would not be traveling far as there was no transport. Where would he sail from and how far could he go. Its highly likely he was on the canal or river but I don't know.

He married a Jane potter she was from liverpool, would he be carrying cargo to there. I am trying to find where they were married and as well as understanding the boat people it might give me a clue.

Best wishes George Woodworth
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waterman Captain, what kind of boat where from and to.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 December 06 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi George
If your William lived in Handbridge(not far from the river) i am sure he would have been Captain of a Barge.It was teeming with barges in those days  :)and horse and carts :) very busy city.My G.G. Grandfather was  captain as well in the 1820/30's. The barges travelled all over the place on the L'Pool Manchester canals delivering an assortment of goods mainly to industries in the cities.So you would be right in saying he carried cargo.My G.G.Grandad was born and married in chester all his children were born there before they all moved to Stafford.
As to finding out where they were married,where was the first child born?

Regards Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 December 06 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia,

Thanks for the information.

Yes my GGG Grandfather lived in Hough Green in 1851, in the St Mary's Ward, after that in Greenway Street Handbridge. His wife Jane Pottter came from Liverpool accoring to the census of 1851 and the eldest Daughter Louisa born about 1831 in Liverpool. I am unable to find William and Janes Marriage and Louisa's birth.

George
Researching: Gentile - Yorkshire, Shrewsbury, Oswestry Chester.  Woodworth - Handbridge Chester. Taylor - Yorkshire and Chester. Ellis - Wrexham. Wraight - Margate Kent

Offline Auntie San

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 07 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

www.canaljunction.com  try this site and go to the Shopshire union canal it will give you a map, there are a few maps on here and you will be able to see where your boatman would have travelled, If he was coming to Liverpool at that time he may have been bringing salt to Liverpool, but don't take my word for it.
I am much in the same boat as yourself. looking for the marriage of a Chester boatman, all bit it a lot later than yours, I am starting to think that the captain of the barge married my two,or they didn't bother, I have looked everywhere. I was glad to read your post, made me glad it is not just me. Their first child was born in Liverpool according to the census, but I can find no record of his birth either, oh dear.
You could always try ST Nicholas church in Liverpool, Liverpool Library has their records on film.  The history of Chester and Liverpool is very interesting when studied from the boatmans view, I have learned a lot in the past few years searching for the marriage of George and Ann, Hmmm do you think it is a good excuse to buy a boat?????

bye

San
Liverpool Moore ,Johnston, Murray Goodwin ,Cain , Gearing, Murphy
Cheshire Broster
London/Kent Tynan, Duggan Moore, Kennet, Mumford

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 January 07 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi San,
I haven't been able to get much further, I will keep on trying. Hope you have lots of luck.

George

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 07 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi George
I see you are still looking for the birth and marriage,I never found them either. I  had looked under both Potter & Woodworth for a marriage.Have you asked Peter Bennett?
I never got past the marriage of my boatman G.G.Granddad in the early 1800 because his name was was James Jones ::) You have mentioned that William Lived in Handbridge in Chester.Was that his address on the census or was he born there?As you know it is hard to find records of boat/watermen.They could have popped of the boat in any county they were in for a few days,and got married :) If you would like me to have a look on the I.G.I Fitch's at the library let me know. I will look for Louisa's Birth first because you have the birthplace of liverpool. I don't think i can do much in looking for a marriage though.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline peterbennett

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 January 07 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Potter & Woodworth for a marriage.Have you asked Peter Bennett?

Yes I have looked every where I can, particularly in Cheshire but there is no sign of them

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 07 17:14 GMT (UK) »
George
i have been going through some on-line directories,cant find any woodworths in Cheshire at all or in liverpool.Some did turn up but in Manchester.I did come across some Potters in Liverpool though in 1827 not many so took them down in case they might be related later.
Potter. Ann. 53 Mount Pleasant
Catherine,Boarding House 56, Mersey St
Ellen 6 Church st Everton
Frances. 7 upper stanhope street
Henry, Gentleman smithdown lane
John. book keeper & victualer 7 st Vincent st
Samuel,cupper 24 Renshaw st
William. merchant 9,Netherfield road w
William. painter, Gilder & victualer.6, leek st
William. Marina,3,meadows st

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline woodworth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 07 18:12 GMT (UK) »

Hi Celia,

Thanks for taking the time to look. I don't know about the Woodworth connection with Manchester, although my Grandfather did go to live there after he left my grandmother with 5 boys to bring up.

Woodworths are in Handbridge and all over Chester although they are my distant relations with the exception of one or two, my fathers brothers had very few children and some had a tragic ending.

I only found Jane Potter recently by getting the birth certificate of another of Williams Woodworths children. Unless I can find Louisa's birth certificate and William and Jane's marriage certificate I'm lost.