Author Topic: CONSTABLE family of WIX  (Read 6408 times)

Offline medi2121

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CONSTABLE family of WIX
« on: Tuesday 19 December 06 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have info. on the Constables of Wix, Bradfield and the Oakley's? I can only get to my gggg grandfather Francis Constable b. C 1804 in Wix. Can you help me go further back? I also have Cutting and Lambert ancestors from the area

:-* :-*

Offline ninkynoo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Black Tar Rivers by HRH Mole in the hole
    • View Profile
Re: CONSTABLE family of WIX
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I just googled CONSTABLE WIX and google came up with a very interesting article about a poisoning in Wix .The victim was a W Constable.
I don't know if he is one of yours ,but it's certainly worth a look.There are a few web sites including one from the Police archive and one called Folklore.
Hope this is of some interest to you.
Lin
Pratt ,Burgess,Gladwell  ,Taylor, Forrester ,Layzell ,Watling ,Merryfield Raven Essex
Field ,Warren.Davis, Spickett ,Peppiatt ,Bucks
White born Dorset moved to Hampshire,Shropshire and finally to Essex
Katherine Murphy b1872 
Buggs ,Day ,Stygal,Balls ,Suffolk ,Norfolk ,Hertfordshire
Venables ,Hertfordshire

Offline medi2121

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 13:27 GMT (UK) »
many thanks ;)

Offline kiebitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I have the following ...

John Constable of Wix, d.1775 (will dated 10.4.1775, probate 3.7.1775)
children mentioned in will:
- John Maurice Constable (c.1765 - 1843, see below)
- Sarah Constable (d.1833 at Harwich, will probate 1.4.1833)
- Margaret Constable (d.1823 at Harwich, will probate 3.2.1823)
- Sukey Constable (1761 - before 1822, married Anthony Runnacles. Later generations of the Runnacles family are to be found in Harwich, Halstead and elsewhere)

John Maurice Constable was living at Mill House Farm, Wix, in 1841. He left a will (probate 11.4.1843) and had at least 2 children:
- John Maurice Constable (d.1832)
- Mary Constable (born c.1791, married John Deane of Wix who died in 1838 and they had at least 6 children)

The younger John Maurice Constable also left a will (probate 10.12.1832). He married Ann (c.1799 - 1868) and they had the following children, all born at Wix:
- Maurice Constable (c.1818 - 1884, farmer at Wix, married Sarah Ball in 1840, children Helen Sarah & Maurice George Constable)
- John Matthew Constable (c.1824 - 1903, farmer at Mistley, married Emma Howard, children John Maurice & Matthew Howard Constable)
- Sarah Margaret Constable (born c.1828, married John Hellen Green - farmer at Bradfield - in 1850, at least 7 children)

Maurice George Constable (1850 - 1904), a farm bailiff at Wix, married Sarah Margaret Green (daughter of John Hellen Green & Sarah Margaret Constable) in 1879. They had at least 2 children.

John Maurice Constable (b.1846), a farmer at Little Bromley, married Mary Brooks in 1873 and they had 3 children.

Matthew Howard Constable (1852 - 1894) was a commission agent for a wine merchant and married Elizabeth Griffith Eagle in 1878. They had 4 children.

Hope this helps. I don't find Francis Constable anywhere here - I can't find him in any of the above-mentioned wills - but I suppose he must fit in with these families somewhere. I'd be very interested if you have any clues.

Best wishes
John

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I have just noticed an older post of your re the Constable family at Wix.  My paternal Grandmother's family (Aylward) hail from Lawford/Mistley in Essex.

My mum remembers visiting with my dad (many years ago) some of his distant cousins in that area.  One of them was connected with the Constable family from Wix and this cousin had pictures of an impressive farm house at Wix but sadly I don't know the name of it.  However, the name Sarah Constable rings a bell with me. I wonder if this is a connection with your post?  I will check with my mum and see if she can remember anymore.

Does the name Aylward ring any bells with you? 

Regards

Deborah

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 February 08 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I responded to an earlier post of yours via (I believe the wrong person - opps).  As you will see from my response to John I have somewhere in my tree a mention of the Constable family of Wix.  My paternal grandmother was an Aylward and her family hailed from Lawford/Mistley area of Essex.

I do know that my parents (many years ago) visited a distant cousin of my dads who had a connection to (I believe) a Sarah Constable of Wix.  He had photographs of the family farmhouse at Wix.  I'm afraid I can't remember his surname.  Does the name Aylward ring any bells in your tree?

Many thanks.

Deborah.

Offline kiebitz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 February 08 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deborah,
Many thanks for this info. Lawford/Mistley is exactly the right area, but unfortunately I haven't come across any Aylwards there. One local name that I have is Brooks, also Bendall, Sizer, South and various others.
All best wishes
John

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 February 08 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

Thanks but I wasn't expecting really to find an Aylward as I'm sure this cousin wasn't of that surname.  The name 'Green' does ring a small bell but I'll have to ask my mum when I next speak to her.

Will be in touch again once I've searched for your Harveys.

Regards

Deborah

Offline Manningtree Ed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 February 09 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi ...

Although no relation of the Aylward family, there is a grave at St Mary's, Lawford, that has always intrigued me:

Micaiah Aylward

Who was acidentally killed at Manningtree train station
February 18th, 1874

I have a photo of the grave (Needed it to confirm the spelling) if of any use.

Cheers,

Ed