Author Topic: City of London Burial - BRINTON  (Read 1092 times)

Offline vic1047

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
City of London Burial - BRINTON
« on: Tuesday 19 December 06 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane, and anyone else who can help.

I am looking for Burial/Death Records for BRINTON pre 1841.

I am particularly interested in the following:-

Mary BRINTON;  wife of John Brinton probably died between 1810 & 1819.  John and Mary probably originate in the Bristol area, were married about 1798 and had two sons born in Bedminster, Som. 1799 & 1803.  There is the possibility of a daughter b. 1810 name unknown.  John re-married in 1819 in a London church, so there's possibly a 50-50 chance that they moved to London before she died.

John BRINTON; husband of the above, re-married Rachel Porter at Christ Church,  Newgate in 1819.  He is missing from the 1841 census, although he 2nd wife Rachel is found in Liberty of the Rolls.  He is recorded as deceased in his son's marriage certificate of 1847.  Occupation according to 2nd wife's death cert. is Brazier.  Possible areas of residence: Islington (Greenmans Lane?), Hoxton, Liberty of the Rolls.

Ruth BRINTON (nee Fudge); wife of Robert Brinton (son of John above), m. 1822 in Bedminster, Som. she is missing from 1841 census, presumed dead.  Robert and Ruth had 4 sons, 2 born in Bedminster, 2 in St Luke's, Mdx in 1826 & 1829.  These two later boys were each about 8 years old when christened (1834 & 1838) at St Giles, Cripplegate; so the fact that Ruth is mention as the mother may not indicate that she was living at the time of the christening.  Robert re-married 06/04/1847 at St John the Baptist, Hoxton and at the time was living in Aske St., Hoxton.  In 1841 he was living at Greenman's Lane, Islington with 3 of his 4 sons.

Also if anyone has records after 1853:

Rachel BRINTON, 2nd wife of John above, d. 12/09/1859 in St. Geo. Southwark

Robert Brinton, son of John above. d. 25/02/1857 in St Olave, Southwark.

If its any help, Robert's son, Robert Henry BRINTON (1847-1894) also d. St Olave, Southwark, was buried at Manor Park Cemetery, as were two of his children Frederick Robert BRINTON (aged 1 year and 22 days in 1884, St Saviour) and Rosalie Harriet BRINTON (Rose, aged 7 in 1901, Camberwell)

I would be interested in any information relating to any Brinton's in the Islington or Hoxton areas, especially if there occupation is recorded as brazier or brass founder.

Here's hoping, TIA

Vic.

BRINTON: Hoxton, Southwark, Bedminster
PORTER: Bath, SOM/GLS
MELLOR: Cornwall, London, Middlesex
PEABODY: Middlesex
HOLLOWAY: Middlesex

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Re: City of London Burial - BRINTON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I found these in the 1861 census:

1861 census  for 17, Shepperton Street, St Mary Islington, Finsbury
RG number:  RG09      Piece:  144      Folio:  114      Page:  40         

BRINTON, Thomas   Head   Married    M   38   Enameller Bristol Gloucestershire
BRINTON, Eliza   Wife   Married    F   39   Briston Surrey
BRINTON, Robert   Son       M   15   Jeweller St Lukes Middlesex
BRINTON, William   Son       M   14   Scholar Hoxton Middlesex
BRINTON, John   Son       M   9   Scholar Islington Middlesex
BRINTON, Henry   Son       M   7   Scholar Islington Middlesex
BRINTON, Alfred   Son       M   2   Scholar Islington Middlesex

and

1, Green Mans Lane, St Mary Islington, Finsbury
RG number:  RG09      Piece:  144      Folio:  52      Page:  11         

BRINTON, William   Head   Married    M   35   Brass Founder St Lukes Middlesex
BRINTON, Caroline   Wife   Married    F   41   Cripplegate Middlesex
BRINTON, William   Son       M   7   Scholar Islington Middlesex
SALE, Phoebe   Servant   Unmarried    F   22   Islington Middlesex

Cheers, Rian

:)
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline vic1047

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rian,

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to look these up.

Unfortunately I already know these people.  Thomas is the eldest son of Robert Brinton mentioned in my previous post.

It looks as though he did not come to London from Bristol with his siblings since he was not listed in the 1841 census at the same address.  I think he probably stayed in the Bristol area as an apprentice, and then moved to London later, possibly after his marriage to Eliza.  The address facts for Eliza are actually incorrect in the census transcription.  At first I though that it should be Brixton, Surrey, but in the 1871 census her birthplace is given as Gloucestershire and in 1881 it is given as Bedminster, Somerset (i.e. now part of Bristol - boundary changes, etc.) which tends to make sense since that is where Thomas was born.

The William Brinton that you found in Islington is the younger brother of Thomas.

Again, thanks for your interest.

Vic
BRINTON: Hoxton, Southwark, Bedminster
PORTER: Bath, SOM/GLS
MELLOR: Cornwall, London, Middlesex
PEABODY: Middlesex
HOLLOWAY: Middlesex

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 December 06 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vic

Finding burials in London can be very tough, but there is a 'rough guide' here which may help http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,128585.0.html

Good luck
Biker
 :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk