Author Topic: Mary Gordon from Marnoch  (Read 33676 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Gordon from Marnoch
« Reply #144 on: Monday 22 January 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
What was the marital status of this Mary Garden??
She was unmarried

I looked for John Gordon, aged 5 to 7, born Aberdeenshire, in the 1881 census. There are just two who are not listed as 'son' and living with a parent whose surname is Gordon.

One is John Gordon, born in Inverurie and living there with Mary Gordon, 42, and his grandmother Mary Ann Gordon, aged 62. The IGI lists the birth in Inverurie of John Gordon to Mary Gordon on 25 November 1874, so I think he can be discounted.

The other one is aged 6 and living with his "brother" William Gordon's family in Aberdeen. This William is aged 24 and born in Drumblade. The only possible candidate is William Lawson Gordon, born 1 May 1856 in Drumblade, parents James Gordon and Margaret Milton.

I note with interest that this couple had a daughter Barbara, born in Marnoch in 1858, and no more children. Could this James be 'your' James, brother of Charles? I see he was a widower when he married Elizabeth Findlay - is Margaret Milton his first wife?

You are in luck because James Gordon and Margaret Milton were married in 1855. 1855 death certificates give you lots of details not collected in other years. Their certificate will tell you the names of James' parents, and hence whether he was Charles' brother.

If he was, six-year-old John Gordon is William's cousin's son (first cousin once removed) and you've probably found your missing John Charles Hunter Gordon.

I see you were having a bit of bother with some place names in the 1891 census.

Aberchirder (usually referred to as Foggieloan or Foggie) is the largest village in the parish of Marnoch
Deskford is the next parish to Cullen and Seafield
Rathven is the parish the other side of Seafield.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Monday 22 January 07 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you know of any sites with emigration records that I could look at?

http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Monday 22 January 07 20:57 GMT (UK) »
1861 census; crachie street, mortlach, banff
james...boarder...age 40...labourer...born king edward, aberdeen

Joe, what was his marital status?

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Monday 22 January 07 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Forfarian for all your input and help!

I don't know who James Gordon's first wife was but I looked up the marriage for James Gordon and Margaret Milton.

It isn't Charles brother.  :(
This James Gordon was 22 and the son of John Gordon and Ann Guthrie.

I looked for John Gordon, aged 5 to 7, born Aberdeenshire, in the 1881 census. There are just two who are not listed as 'son' and living with a parent whose surname is Gordon.

Were there any John Gordon's listed as "son" living with a parent whose surname was Hunter, Paterson or Findlay???  He was illegitimate so if he was staying with his father their surnames wouldn't match.

Susan
Abbott, Broadhead, Cope, Corbey, Dancer, Mee, Minter, Morrell, Pearson, Shenton,  Smith, Towle

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 22 January 07 23:34 GMT (UK) »
It isn't Charles brother.  :(
Oh, well, it was always worth a try.

Were there any John Gordon's listed as "son" living with a parent whose surname was Hunter, Paterson or Findlay???  He was illegitimate so if he was staying with his father their surnames wouldn't match.

No. Evidently I didn't make myself clear enough above. All the John Gordons listed as 'son' were living with a head of household surnamed Gordon. No Hunters, Patersons or Findlays.

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification, Forfarian.  Though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for!!

Susan
Abbott, Broadhead, Cope, Corbey, Dancer, Mee, Minter, Morrell, Pearson, Shenton,  Smith, Towle

Offline susanhs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found the death record for Robina Findlay Gordon.

She died Jan 11, 1890 at age 10 years 9 months at the Royal Infirmary in Dundee.
single, illegitimate
Her mother: Mary Gordon was a yarn spreader living at 24 Todburn Lane.,
cause: necrosis of tibia of right leg 21 days, septicemia 3 days

Offline shgordon127

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 04 August 07 21:17 BST (UK) »
Re: Mary Gordon of Marnoch. She may be the sister of my great grandfather Charles Edward Gordon, born 1842 and died in USA after 1912.  His mother was indeed Elizabeth Mackie, who is buried in the Marnoch Churchyard.  She died in 1858. Charles and his second family left for the United States in 1872 from Glasgow. They were a large family and I have not traced all of them, but I am sure that Charles was the son of Charles Gordon and the grandson of John Gordon, linenweaver, of New Byth, and Margaret Robertson. The problem is that Mary is not one of the names in the record. And there are several other Mary Gordons born in this time period, in Angus and Banff.  I have more extensive information, but I have not yet verified all of it with a genealogist or published it.

Offline shgordon127

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Saturday 04 August 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
Re: Mary Gordon of Marnoch. She may be the sister of my great grandfather Charles Edward Gordon, born 1842 and died in USA after 1912.  His mother was indeed Elizabeth Mackie, who is buried in the Marnoch Churchyard.  She died in 1858. Charles and his second family left for the United States in 1872 from Glasgow. They were a large family and I have not traced all of them, but I am sure that Charles was the son of Charles Gordon and the grandson of John Gordon, linenweaver, of New Byth, and Margaret Robertson. The problem is that Mary is not one of the names in the record, and there are several other Mary Gordons born during this time period, in Angus and in Banff.
 I have more extensive information, but I have not yet verified all of it with a genealogist or published it to the web.