Author Topic: Colbert  (Read 5122 times)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Colbert
« on: Wednesday 07 January 04 16:49 GMT (UK) »
My brick wall!

Anyone with links to the Colbert surname in Ireland ?(area uknown) ~ however Waterford seems a prominent area for the surname.

I have a Michael Colbert c. at a guess 1820. wife unknown, they had a child Patrick John colbert c. 1840/1 born in Ireland (area ?). Patrick moved to Swansea Wales sometime in the early 1860's and married an irish widow Mary Flynn (nee Fitzgerald) in March 1867. She already had 2 sons from her widowed married James Flynn, c.1857 in Swansea S.Wales and Michael Flynn c. 1864 in Swansea South Wales (their father Thomas Flynn died in Swansea the year of this babys death).

Patrick and Mary married in St David's Roman Catholic Church in Swansea and lived in the Green hill area (known locally as "Little Ireland").

They had a son John Colbert in 1868 (my g-grandad) who died in July 1943, and then they had another son Edward Colebert September 1870. I have John's line to date still remaining in Swansea (a dying breed!) in 1901 Edward was living with his mother & Flynn brother James ~ who incidentally is listed as Colburt!!!!! but I have found no marriage or death record for them in the UK so far. 

I would like to see if I can link to Edward and his line, if he indeed married and had children.  Their father Patrick may have died in a Swansea Workhouse in 1885, but the certificate has proved inconclusive to my research,and i cannot say 100% that he is indeed my Gx2Grandad, But having said that the surname is very rare in Swansea, and all Colbert's but 3 are linked to my research in the 1800's - 2000's in the Swansea area.

Any ideas? :o
hope so.

If you wish to know more contact me.

Diolch!, (thanks)

Welsh Jen

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ireland ~ Colbert data wanted for ONS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 September 04 22:24 BST (UK) »
I am in the pursuit of a Colbert One Name Study (Goons)
I am in contact with many Colbert researcher that can place their line in Ireland & without much success of gaining information.

I would be grateful to anyone who can supply any historical Colbert data available to them in this region to assist me with this study.

I would gladly welcome any contact so I can correlate as much information for other fellow Colbert researchers.

Your input is gratefully received.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland ~ Colbert data wanted for ONS
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 00:03 BST (UK) »
You probably know that the name originates from Munster, Waterford.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ireland ~ Colbert data wanted for ONS
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 10:58 BST (UK) »
Yes I am aware where the name originates in Ireland.  COLBERT is suggested to be Huguenot (French Protestant). The name is found in south Ireland in the 1400s, long before the Huguenot era.The COLBERT surname is well known in south Munster. It occurs in the Domesday Book (1066) as COLBEORHT.

In Ireland, records as early as 1417 show that Thomas COLBERT was involved in a trespass case at Tipperary.
Griffith's Valuation found COLBERT families very numerous in Co. Waterford in 1850, with more than 55 householders recorded there.