Author Topic: St Mark's Hull - 1880 - does it exist?  (Read 9335 times)

Offline quizmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
St Mark's Hull - 1880 - does it exist?
« on: Thursday 18 November 04 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found two marriages on Yorkshire BMD, both at St Mark's, Hull in 1880 of my great grandfather and his cousin, so I went along to the web site where all the parish registers are laid out by county, by town and by parish only to find no record of St Marks in Hull (yes I know it's Kingston upon Hull in the list) and wondered if anybody could shed any light on this? If it was just one record, then I might be tempted to believe that St Mark's is really St Mary's, but that seems less likely for two records. Is it possible that St Mark's records have not been transcribed?

I can always get the certificates (and most certainly will do), but my main purpose for wanting to find St Mark's records was to search to see if any other family members were baptised or married there,

Offline Kooly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: St Mark's Hull - 1880 - does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 04 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quizmaster,
                       St, Marks, is in the civil parish of Sutton, and i know Beverley hold a small percentage of certificates.

Regards  kooly....
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive.gov.uk

(Yorkshire) Briggs, Darbyshire, Green, Harrison, Moate, Smith, Leggott, Bradley.
(Staffordshire) Baker.
(Ireland) Bradley.

Offline quizmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 04 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion. Will look at Sutton. There is no problem with obtaining the certificates as Yorkshire BMD has given me the reference numbers. In actual fact, I tried finding the marriage certificate in Beverley in the first instance because the bride was born in Beverley. However as my subsequent research has proven, the family moved to Sutton (which I obviously mistakenly think of as being in Hull) and that is how my g grandparents met.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the burials records on Yorkshire BMD to catch up with births and marriages.

Offline TangoGirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 04 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quizmaster
St Marks was down Jennings Street in the parish of Sculcoates,Hull. The Beverley Archives hold the parish registers for the whole of that parish ie. baptisms,marriages and burials. I think they have their own online website, try typing it into Google and see what comes up.

Valley  :)

Offline quizmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 November 04 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Valley

There is a web siite that indicates they hold the records. I may have been reading your post with unjustified optimism, but I took it to mean they had an online search facility. Could you kindly put me right if I am wide of the mark? Alternatively if there is one, confirmation will spur me on to dig deeper.

Thanks
QM

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 November 04 12:39 GMT (UK) »

St Mark's was located on St Marks Street, off New Cleveland Street in Hull. My Great Grandparents were married there in 1907. The church closed in the 1950s and was subsequently demolished. Today, the site is covered with light industrial units. The church was located next to two gasometer's (which are still there today).
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline quizmaster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 November 04 15:26 GMT (UK) »
It's good to get a mental image of the place. I haven't been to Hull in 25 years and even then it was only briefly. My two weddings took place in 1880. One of them is of particular interest as in the 1871 census we have James (one of the grooms) living with his uncle on Hodgson Street along with cousin William who also married in 1880. For all I know, they may have married on the same day. The odd thing is that there is no subsequent record of James or his wife in the 1881 census and I find that most intriguing.  I went to the LDS site with parish records and unfortunately it only goes up to 1837. There's no option now but to go and buy the certificates if I am to make any further progress.

Offline North Country Boy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 November 04 00:59 GMT (UK) »

I recently stumbled upon a website that lists all the Anglican parishes/churches in Hull. I apologize but I can't remember the name of the site but I navigated it via the Hull Council site (www.hullcc.gov.uk)

St Mark's is mentioned as follows;

"...St Marks (in the Groves), St Mark's Street, Hull.

It was concerated in 1844 with the district taken from Sutton and the extra-parochial district of Garrison Side in 1844. It was badly damaged during WW2 and closed in 1948 and demolished in 1958/9. The parish was combined with that of St Saviour. The site is now occupied by industry..."

I went for a walk around the area when i last visited Hull during the summer as many of my family lived in Hodgson Street at the turn of the 19th/20th century.

Hope this is of some use to you.
Researching:<br /><br />Olsen - Sweden/South Wales/Hull<br />Coates - East Yorkshire/Hull<br />Latus - Hull/Kings Lynn/Kent/Hampshire/Middlesborough<br />
Bradley-Nottinghamshire/Oldcoates
Dearing - Hull/East Yorkshire/Halifax<br />Murphy - Dublin/Hull
England - Pontefract
Cave - Pontefeact/Doncaster
Walker - Devon/Hull

Offline Sgt_Tollers

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Irene Scarlett 1897 - 1956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello there, quizmaster

I PM'd you, but I thought that I would also post on here.

I have a photograph of the said church that you speak of.

If you would like for me to send it to you, you could send me your email in a PM.

Best wishes :)
Sgt Tollers
Tollerfield (All),Moy (Norfolk and Hull), Oxborrow,Ratcliffe,Scarlett,Simpson (Suffolk),Davies,Lewis (Carmarthen),Hennessy (Bermondsey and Ireland), Hand Smyth (London and Ireland),Fenton,Warrener (Yorkshire) :).