Author Topic: Cumberland Wills: Sharp & Graham  (Read 971 times)

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cumberland Wills: Sharp & Graham
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If anyone has access to a wills index, I'd very much appreciate a lookup of the Sharp or Graham families in the villages of Plumbland/Parsonby. I've pencilled in a possible family tree via some IGI baptisms but am not really comfortable with using that resource alone without some corroborating evidence from elsewhere. In particular I'm hoping to find a will for Jeremiah Sharp, who married a Mary Hodgson in Bowness and became an innkeeper in Parsonby, Plumbland.

Their daughter Esther Sharp also married a John Graham in nearby Gilcrix and ended up living in Plumbland, though as a coalminer I'm less convinced there will be a will knocking around.

Many thanks and all the best for the new year.
JB.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cumberland Wills: Sharp & Graham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 09:04 GMT (UK) »
You do not give any indication of date.   Some pre 1858 wills are online at the PRO documentsonline site so that might be worth a look.    More recent ones are all held at the main probate office in London but not online as far as I know.    You can check the IGI entries by getting the film of the parish register to search at your nearest LDS centre.  That will show burials as well so will help to date the wills.
Andrea

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 07 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Apologies for missing the dates, rather foolish. Jeremiah Sharp died sometime between 1841 and 1851.

I couldn't find anything at documentsonline for this family. I have found a probate index site which includes parts of Cumberland on the University of Central Lancs website, so it may worth subscribing to that.

Thanks,
JB.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 January 07 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi JB,

Have you tried phoning the Carlisle rec's office? Speak to Lynda, she has a database of wills & she can let you know over the phone if they have one. She'll need name, date & place of death.

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 January 07 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

Wow I didn't realise you could do that, thanks very much for the tip. I'll give them a call.

JB.