Author Topic: Gilcrux/Plumbland/Bowness: SHARPs & GRAHAMs  (Read 4463 times)

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gilcrux/Plumbland/Bowness: SHARPs & GRAHAMs
« on: Wednesday 03 January 07 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Just posting my interest in these two families. I'm having trouble finding evidence to corroborate what I've pieced together from the IGI; I'm finding it's easy to put together a potential tree but not so easy to become completely comfortable with what you've set down without some evidence from elsewhere.

The earliest back I've gone is a Jeremiah Sharp born c1745 who married a Mary Hodgson. They had a child Esther Sharp in 1792 in Bowness and I believe by 1801 they had moved to Plumbland where they had further children. I'm not sure where they were inbetween 1792 and 1801 but there were no childrens' baptisms in the IGI.

The daughter Esther Sharp married a John Graham in Gilcrux in 1812, having a few children there before having further children in Torpenhow and finally Plumbland. One child, John Graham, moved to Tanfield in Durham where he was working as a coalminer.

I'd love to hear from anyone with similar connections to share information.

Happy New Year!
JB.

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
Re: Gilcrux/Plumbland/Bowness: SHARPs & GRAHAMs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 January 07 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, JB.  I have two families from Gilcrux - Wilkinson &  Blackburn.  In fact, there are still some Wilkinson's there, or were in 2005.  It's a  neat little village.  I had a great lunch there.

Anyway.  I have a copy of the 1841 census:  there is a John Graham, age 25, Coal Miner (born in county), just above my ancestor.  No other person is listed above that's related.  It looks like several young miners together.  My Blackburn family is just below him. 

Since records weren't kept before 1837, try the Family History Online website and even Ancestry.com.  My subscription to A.com has lapsed or I'd check it out, but you could see if your library has a subscription.  FHO is also a pay-per-view, but in smaller chunks. 

There's something about the area that makes people hard to find.  I have another ancester (Robson - he married a Wilkinson) in Plumbland in 1838, but he was born in 1799 - I have no knowledge what he did between those years. 

In fact, the Blackburns moved toward Arlecdon and Barrow.  Wonder if they all knew one another?  Good luck with your research.  I hope  you have a breakthrough.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline holli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Try this link. http://www.cumberlandroots.co.uk/

It has most bishop transcripts from that area. Found Esther Sharps marriage to John Graham in 1812..."John Graham of the Parish of Gilcrux & Esther Sharp of the Parish of Aspatria, County of Cumberland were married in this church by publication of Banns this fourteenth day of December in the year One Thousand Eight Hundred & Twelve by me Wilson Sinkinson, Curate"

Hope this helps

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link Holli, that's a great site.

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 January 07 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi RedFox,

Thanks for the tip. Looking at 1841 on Ancestry I can now see what appear to be three of my Grahams living in various houses around Gilcrux.

JB.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 February 07 09:18 GMT (UK) »
As discovered on another genealogy site, the 1841 census for Plumbland is missing on Ancestry.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnbarleycorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 February 07 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I brought this to Ancestry's attention a few weeks ago. After shouting at the various automated responses that came back, eventually a human answered and claimed they would deal with it. I've heard they're not particularly fast at rectifying missing census pages though.

I did find via their free trial that www.thegenealogist.co.uk has Plumbland 1841; I'm considering defecting when my Ancestry subs are up for renewal.

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 07 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi, jbc - thanks for the tip on that website.  Looks like it might be worth checking out.  I have let my A.com subscription lapse, but I miss a source of inquiry as I find new people to research.  This one looks to be less expensive.

Geoff E, it's good to see you on this page.  I think we've chatted before when i inquired about my Davidson line and a photo I have. 

Now that I know more about my Robson family than I did a few years ago, it would be helpful to have access to the 1841 census records for all the areas around Aspatria.  They had settled in Newtown and Harristown, as well as Fletchertown, Oughterside, Prospect - all around the area (this from birth, baptism, & marriage records).  But they and extended family members lived in Plumbland, Gilcrux, Dearham, as well, and maybe even Parsonby.  Have always loved geography so this was a special time for me.

It's funny the way Plumbland and Parsonby are laid out.  Parsonby is surrounded by Plumbland.  We ate lunch in Par. and traveled one block to the church in Plu. when I was there in 2005.  Had a great lunch in Gilcrux; the best during my stay in England.  I found Dearham overwhelming - very hilly and close.  Since I didn't know where to look for my history, I was anxioux to drive back out.  It wasn't as frustrating to drive in Carlisle.  It's easy to forget that people didn't get around by car in the mid-1800's so the roads and lanes only were wide enough for horses.

With the countryside in England and Scotland, it was very easy to imagine how it was back then.  I would encourage everyone who has a chance to include some hands-on time during their research.  It's well worth it.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
On the bishops transcripts, if you put said words plus gilcrux into your search bar, a site comes up with dearham, all hallows, gilcrux and others and they are searchable. Not sure if it's the one mentioned. My grahams all seem to have missed gilcrux moving directly from bolton to dearham but I am liaising with a potential relative re gilcrux. I will check the relavant files tonight and repost.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean