Author Topic: 1841 Census - BATES  (Read 1728 times)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1841 Census - BATES
« on: Monday 08 January 07 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for John Bates, who married Susan/Sussana (nee Chantrell/Chauntrell), somewhere in the 1841 Census.  If either are alive they would be old - about 80 yo.

I am also looking for son John Bates who would be about 53 yo.  

John and Sussana were married in Marsworth and their sons William (1782) and John (1782) were also baptised there.  

I am trying to find a lead on where the family came from as they lived in Marsworth, Gubblecote, Wilstone and Tring.

Any help would be FABULOUS!

tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Bates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tanya
There is a John Bates 80 Labourer born out of County in Conies Yd Hitchin otherwise nothing. No Susanna of suitable age in Herts. 3 possibles for John junior in Flamstead, Great Gaddesden and Offley. Happy to post full details if any of these sound likely.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - BATES
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 07 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Thankyou for your information.  I have no idea where any of the places you mention are located.  I guess I would like to see a copy of the elder John Bates (80).  As for the other places I will look on a map to see if they are anywhere nearish to the Bucks/ Herts borders.

again thanks for your help!

tanya
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 07 11:30 GMT (UK) »

Conies Yd Hitchin
John Bates 85 Labourer N (born out of county)
Hannah Clough 43 Y
James Gray 38 Sawyer Y
David do 15 do Y
Ruth do 13 Y
Dinah do 8 Y
HO107/445/1/48 Pg18

Re the younger John Great Gaddesden is near the Herts Bucks border, Offley and Flamstead are nearer Luton but not too far distant, however in 1851 the Gt Gaddesden  John Bates give Hemel Hempstead Herts as birthplace and the Offley one Offley - so probably not yours? Have you found him in 1851?
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 07 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I am not convinced in any way that the eld John is the man I am looking for but it is very helpful to keep the info.  So thankyou. 

No I haven't asked for any help as yet on the 1851 Census.  I guess I should.  Perhaps the details in the records of 1851 are better?

btw I noticed Saunders in your list.  Did you know that a Thomas Saunders married a Maria Bates?

bugsybo

« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 December 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am new to this and was looking through the pages of Roots and saw your message. Are you related to any of the Bates family from Cheshunt and Chipperfield, my family.  I think you may be the one I found that had a message  from someone saying about the Mortons if so William Bates was my great great grandfather, who married Mary Morton.