Author Topic: Marriage Licenses in 1769  (Read 1706 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Marriage Licenses in 1769
« on: Thursday 11 January 07 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Two of my ancestors were married in Grinton on 21 Dec 1769 by licence.

Is it possible to get more information from the licence application, or a copy of the license itself, or are they destroyed?

If there is still information in existence where and how would I access it?

Many thanks

JoS
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Licenses in 1769
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 January 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
The licence itself which was given to the vicar of the church where they were married is unlikely to have survived.  However if you go to the records of the registry of diocese where it was issued which should be in the record office for the county in which the cathedral is based you my find the following:

The allegation which was made to obtain the licence.  This will probably only contain the names of the groom, the person who stood surity and the amount for which he was liable if there was a false declaration of ability to marry.

Some diocese also kept records of the licences issued but the availability and content of these is variable.

For special licenses and licences issued for people residing in different diocese you need to look at York or Canterbury (Lambeth Palace).  For some peculiars and archdeaconries who issued their own licences they will be found in the record office of the presiding authority.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 January 07 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David.

Am I right in thinking that that part of the North Riding was in the Diocese of Chester at that time?

Cheers

JoS
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 January 07 23:15 GMT (UK) »
The North Riding was a complicated one.

The western half was in the Archdeaconry of Richmond and the eastern half in the Archdeaconry of Cleveland.  The south eastern tip was in the Archdeaconry of the East Riding and there are lots of peculiars.

I am not sure of my record offices in Yorkshire but I would start with what used to be the North Yorks record office in Northallerton if that is still there.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk