Author Topic: Are you sitting comfortably ? then I'll begin !!  (Read 108694 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Are you sitting comfortably ? then I'll begin !!
« Reply #630 on: Saturday 13 October 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Great leaps being made ! it's so great!!

My humble opinion? Without losing track of the main hunts happening (Shaun and Reiver currently with the baton  ;D)  I don't think it can hurt to try and contact ANYONE at all who knew or is descended from any member of the family on either Robert's or Elizabeth's side. We just never know who knew who or how well! Or who might have that precious photograph! The worst that can happen is to find someone,  only  to be told "I haven't a clue!" But in my expericence? With a leading question of two, they might add on "But, you can try...."

Hopefully, Gatacre's emails will unearth a death notice.  And not to forget Wocky's very promising line of enquiry, that may turn something up too!

But if there is a Dobell descendant who can be found (or is  ???was there not a chap somewhere in business?) or descendants of Elizabeth's brother....worth a go, I'd say.

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: Saturday 13 October 07 21:58 BST (UK) »
I've been thinking that collectively we have so much data on this family now that we should put it up on a website - not only as a resource for our Robert Stead quest but also as a point of call for the family should a cousin start researching the family history. I'd be happy to co-ordinate that - might the RC powers-that-be let us have some free space for it? Mods please advise.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: Saturday 13 October 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun

You already have the data on a website, lol!

Seriously, there are issues with putting info about living people on a website without their permission.

If descendants of this family begin to research, they will surely find this thread.

Meanwhile Annie is working on summarising the info you have so far and highlighting what needs to be done next (only you lot keep moving the goal-posts with your wonderful discoveries!)  ;D

Bear with us and we will do our bit to help you organise what you have and hopefully you are nearly "there" by now?!?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: Saturday 13 October 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
Arranroots,

It's a big, big, long thread and the thought was that if we could set up a site that has the key data - it would certainly help newcomers to get up to speed if we had the central family data in one place...
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: Saturday 13 October 07 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun

;D

It is long, isn't it - I get to abt page 8 and my eyes go wonky, so I skip to page 37 and hope I haven't missed anything !!

We quite agree on the length of the thread and  as Arran said, I also happen to know our dear Annie is working on the very thing you have suggested - great minds and all that.

The idea is to summarise and start I believe  a new topic with that summary. (linked to this one for those with a couple hours to spare for reading it)   I think the content of the new topic  may be controlled as to what goes on to it to keep it succint and manageable.   

I think it'll be as good as a 'real' website too, for family researchers to find. 
Certainley this thread comes up with bells if I search his or his father's name - so I'm sure that a new 'topic' would  do too.

Annie's having bother with her PC at present and keeps disappearing, but  I'm sure she'll appreciate a PM if you have some ideas for a summary or can give her a hand wading thru the 210+  pages of Word document pages this topic generates  ;D  ;D  ;D

Kindest Cheers ;D
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline Rabbit B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1937 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: Saturday 13 October 07 23:36 BST (UK) »
I will second that Shaun and Ambly, the thread is now far too long!

I propose that the person who started this thread, abbreviates, it down to the facts that we now know are correct!

Rabbit B  ;D

PS are there writers out there who could make these stories into a book?
Conning/London
Wareham/Winchester
Hart/Cambridgeshire
Burns/Byrne/Liverpool and Ireland
Nibbs/London
Brealey/Staffordshire
Melbourn/Melbourne/Cambridgeshire
Hoyle/Liverpool
Relf/Sussex

Offline clematised

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: Sunday 14 October 07 00:23 BST (UK) »
Is there a way that the in-irrelavent messages such as this can be removed from the thread to shorten it down to those messages that are helpful as many of us add to the thread to get feed back for e-mails from rootschat but we can access it through the Lancashire pages to keep it shorter.

Also if anyone has any information for this thread that is in another area outside of Lancashire can they add to the area with a reference to this thread if thats helpful
Personally I thought it worthwhile to spend the two hours reading the thread throughout but a concise version would be helpful for the research.

Edna
Scotland and Liverpool Wilson,Conning,Cooper.Marshall
Cumberland,Liverpool, Anderson,Harrison
India, Liverpool, Lloyd.
Hollyhead anglesey,Wales, Liverpool, Jones,Williams
Llangwyfan,Aberffraw. Hughes/Griffiths

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: Sunday 14 October 07 01:39 BST (UK) »
Liverpool Annie - who started this topic after taking up the challenge of Michel's Quest - is actively working on the very thing , a concise Summary version of this topic - that will cover both your ideas/proposals, Rabbit B and Edna  ;D  ;D

Won't be long now, I shouldn't think!

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Stumped!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: Sunday 14 October 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
For those that don't know, here's a tip for reading this (and any other) thread offline, which I only discovered a few days ago.
At the end of the last post at the right hand side of the page is a "print" button.
Hit that and the whole thread appears in a new window.
Then go file..save as, then save as type.
I use web archive, single file, with the suffix .mht
Then save it to your pc. You can then open it up in internet explorer as one very very long page.
I don't know whether it works in Firefox.
Peter