Author Topic: Mystery over dumped WWI memorial - Gateshead  (Read 1177 times)

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery over dumped WWI memorial - Gateshead
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 January 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
The memorial to the men of Ricketts in Hull who fell in WWI was on two tablets. Sadly one of those is lost and even more sadly, the one that is lost contains the name of my great uncle. Fortunately I have a copy of a photograph of the memorial being unveiled and it is possible to make out the name. but that is a small consolation.

I'm sure the relatives of these men will appreciate its restoration to its rightful place, Probably fortunate we are so interested in our ancestors now - in the 1970s, it might just have been dumped and lost for all eternity
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline jellybaby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery over dumped WWI memorial - Gateshead
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 07 19:06 GMT (UK) »
This memorial was featured on ITV North East Tonight.  A man who's great uncle is named on it has solved the mystery.  The man remembers the memorial was on display in the Prespyterian (I know I have spelt this wrong) church in Gateshead when he was a child.  The church has since been demolished and housing has been built around the location.  It is hoped that the memorial will be placed close to it's original location.

Co Durham; Gillespie, Dorman, Aaron, Myers, Lockey, Heald, Hall, Habbishaw, Habbishaw, Layfield
Cumberland; Routledge
Yorkshire; Allen, Hall, Heald, Habbishaw, Routledge, Hopkinson