Author Topic: travellers/Hawkers/Gypsies Kent  (Read 1207 times)

Offline janet bird

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
travellers/Hawkers/Gypsies Kent
« on: Friday 19 November 04 15:23 GMT (UK) »
i wonder if anyone can help me I am looking for information on the Bird family and Smith family

Heres what I have
matthew bird married Esther Eleanor Saunders in Sandhurst Parish Church on November 14th 1904 his occupation was Hawker his fathers name was Thomas Bird also a Hawker, matthew was 20.  Esthers father was Thomas Saunders occ Labourer she was 21.

Matthew and Esther had Thomas Bird in 1906 registration dist Cranbrook sub district Hawkhurst dob for Thomas Bird is 21st June 1906.  Matthew gave his occupation as Licensed Fish Hawker residence given is The Cross Sandhurst.

Thomas Bird went on the marry Rose Smith in 1928- 5th January at The Register Office Tonbridge.  He was 21 and rose was 23.  Thomas father Matthew Bird Hawker.  Rose Smith father was Mark Smith again Hawker.  Thomas Bird was residing at 4 Red Cottages Pembury and Rose at Mt Ephriam Tunbridge Wells as a domestic servant. 

Mark Smith married Rose Johnson on sept 29 1902 at Horsmonden Church he was 20 and Rose was 22.  Mark smith hawker and his father was John Smith also a hawker.  Rose Johnsons father was George Johnson occupation looks like horse dealer or could be house dealer.

I cannot locate Matthew Bird or Esther Saunders on the 1901 census or have had any luck with the others so if anyone could possible help with the information I have given I would be very glad to hear of it.

Regards

Janet 

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: travellers/Hawkers/Gypsies Kent
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Not sure if it will get you any further forward but there is a death index entry for Thomas Bird, aged 57 in the September Quarter of 1903 [Maidstone District, Volume 2a, page 414]. Maidstone is the right district for a death in Staplehurst. If it turns out to be a Thomas who died in Staplehurst then the name of the informant may well be a relative and give you something more to go on.

There is a likely birth entry for Thomas Bird in the June Quarter of 1845 again in the Maidstone Registration District Volume 5 page 349.

Had a good look in the 1891 and 1901 census for both Matthew and Esther but, like you, could not find any potential candidates. Thought you might like to know in case you suspected you had missed something  ;).

I sympathise with your plight, I have a Great Grandfather who was a brickmaker and "travelled" a lot. He was born in Devon, married 1st in Somerset, married 2nd possibly in London and 3rd in Bethnal Green also having children to wives before and after marriage and using any combination of his three christian names! Still cannot find him in 1871 and I suspect he spent the night sleeping rough to avoid the enumerator - or am I becoming paranoid  ;D

Good luck with your search,

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline maktee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: travellers/Hawkers/Gypsies Kent
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 24 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet - I was married in Hollington  in 1976 to Ingrid, Julia, Olive H.  - her grandmother:Julia Brant: her mother:Olive Ripley Bird (I have a foto of Olive R) her parents: Thomas Bird and Rebecca Ripley
I think we may be able to help each other. Ingrid is a businesswoman - fabric merchant - modern day "Hawker and peddler", don't you think?? (Romany stock - "Gypsies", I was told!
Hoping to talk to you, Terry