Author Topic: Cornish Regiments  (Read 1224 times)

Offline toggle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cornish Regiments
« on: Saturday 13 January 07 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with  Cornish Regiments that fought in the Crimea War, and where I might find more info on soldiers who returned home with injuries.

Regards  Hotdog

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cornish Regiments
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 January 07 10:01 GMT (UK) »
HD,the 32nd foot were the duke of cornwalls light infantry,but they didnt fight in the crimea,they were in india in 1857-59,many were killed and wounded in the indian mutiny and many others massacred at cawnpore by mutineers,its near enough the same period as the crimea,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 January 07 16:53 GMT (UK) »
The 46th (South Devonshire) Foot were in the Crimea.
In 1881 they become the 2nd Bn Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, but didn't have any association with Cornwall at the time of the Crimean War.

If you're looking for a soldier who returned home with injuries, the casualty roll is where you need to look. Are you looking for someone specific? If so, can you give us a name?

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline toggle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 07 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neil for getting back to me, the soldier I am looking for was a John Lemin born abt  1811 At Warleggan Cornwall, in the 1851census he was down as a AG LAB ,and in the 1861 census a Chelsea Pensioner, any help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards Hotdog