Author Topic: SANSBURY  (Read 26375 times)

Offline cokesidedoors

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
SANSBURY
« on: Thursday 26 February 04 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find links to the Sansbury family living in Douglas circa 1960. Can't be more precise I'm afraid, other that they had Liverpool links.

Thanks  Dave Hunter
Hunter
Phillimore
Sansbury
Pritchard
Looney
Bridson
Sneddon
Snedden
Pritchard
Prichard
Griffiths

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:SANSBURY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 04 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dave,

If you check the 1881 Census you find that SANSBURY in quite an unusual Surname with only with just over 100 idividuals called Sansbury.

It looks like it does originate on the Isle of Man which accounts for about half the original number. followed by Hampshire (Portsea Island) 27 and Lancashire 14 mostly in the West Derby area.

To find out more about your Sansbury family from 1960 you would have to travel to Douglas I would think to take up the search for such a recent date.

You will then be able to track them throught the Electorial Roll.

Sarah :)
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline cokesidedoors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 February 04 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sarah,

I know that I have Sansbury links on my mother's side who was born in Bootle Lancashire (covered by West Derby baptisms). I have old (1920's) family photographs taken/printed in Douglas IOM and can remember that in about 1960, as a family we visited folk in Douglas. Sadly, I did not think to ask questions as a child and now I have no links to those to ask. Interestingly, I can find no Sansbury's currently living on IOM (electoral roles)!

Thanks for your help.  

Dave
Hunter
Phillimore
Sansbury
Pritchard
Looney
Bridson
Sneddon
Snedden
Pritchard
Prichard
Griffiths

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 04 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear David,

I had a quick look at the Phone Book and found at least 8 people, It may be worth writing to them to see if they can help.

It should also have a look at the Isle of Man Family Society's website.

Regards

Sarah :)
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline JamesH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SANSBURY
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 04 16:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Dave

I have Margaret Jane Sansbury b 1875, Rushen, IOM, died 1970 in Douglas.  Parents Thomas and Jane Moore.  She married Harry Corteen in Braddam on 20 November 1899.  They had four children but I'm afraid I have no succession for any of them.
I am researching my father's Robbens family originally from Langport, Somerset, my mother's Dymond family from Bridford, Devon plus other associated Devon families including Gillard, Spurrell and Simmons.  I also have an active interest in Corteens' and my wifes Larchet ancestry.

Offline Prana35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 05 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Dave

I am just starting out researching the family name and know from anecdotal evidence that we have some links with the IOM. There are still numerous Sansbury's living in the Liverpool and Lancashire areas ( of which I am one )and I know that several relatives are buried in West Derby Cemetery. I have some info regarding family who moved from the IOM in the late 1800's but don't know if that will help you with your research for such a recent date (1960's).

Regards

Steve S

Offline cokesidedoors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 January 05 17:17 GMT (UK) »
I now know that John Thomas Sansbury (born 28/05/1887) was born Malew IOM and moved to Bootle Lancashire shortly afterwards. His father Philip Arcibald Sansbury (born 07/04/1859) was again born Malew IOM. He was a fisherman in the 1881 census and became a policeman in the Bootle constabulary by 1901. Philip married Emmas (or Amy) Jane Bridson.

Any further help appreciated.   DJH
Hunter
Phillimore
Sansbury
Pritchard
Looney
Bridson
Sneddon
Snedden
Pritchard
Prichard
Griffiths

Offline Prana35

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 January 05 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Dave

Just a quickie...I have been looking through some old letters from an Aunt who was interested in the family history and she located a Phillip Sansbury who was a police officer in the 1907 Street Directory, he was listed as living at 81 Hood Street, Liverpool. No middle name I am afraid, but I thought it is likely to be your Phillip Archibald Sansbury.

Regards

SS

Offline cokesidedoors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 09:40 GMT (UK) »
That looks to be a perfect fit. The 1901 census shows him as living at 81 Hood Street Bootle. I do now know that when his son - John Thomas Sansbury - married in late 1915, Philip was shown as deceased.

I would be interested in any further information you have.

Dave
Hunter
Phillimore
Sansbury
Pritchard
Looney
Bridson
Sneddon
Snedden
Pritchard
Prichard
Griffiths