Author Topic: Langlois in London  (Read 2225 times)

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Langlois in London
« on: Monday 15 January 07 00:53 GMT (UK) »
I am having great difficulty finding my Langlois family in the earlier censuses and one in particular I am keen to find, died in Warren St (no 74) in February 1862 so I am hoping that she may have been there in the census only the index doesnt identify her.  Does anyone have any idea in which enumeration district I could find Warren St for this census please?

Thanks
Angela

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Langlois in London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 January 07 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Angela
Could you check the Registration and sub registration districts shown on the death certificate. I will then look up the address for you. I was assuming it was the Warren Street off Tottenham Court Road but that may not be the right one!
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 January 07 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela
I have looked at 74 Warren Street near Tottenham Court Road and there are 3 people called Mary Langler.  Quite a likely misinterpretation of the name Langlois!
They are
Mary Langler Head Wid?  64 Dealer in Curiousities? b Marylebone
Mary A Dau Unm 29 b St Pancras
Mary Gdau 1 b St Pancras
Ref is RG9 102 f72

Any use?

Barbara

Edit: The granddaughter may be older - difficult to read the age!
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 January 07 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Barbara, you are a star!!!  Yes indeed, that would be them.  Her name was actually Harriet (Harriott) Ann so no wonder I was having trouble finding her as that!  She wasnt a widow either, her husband was living it up with a woman 20 years his junior about 5 streets away!! I guess she didnt tell her daughter that either as she was listed as a widow on her death certificate too.

Edited to add, I have had a look at them and though there is no doubt in my mind that this is my family, the dates are utterly up the creek - mum, according to dc would have been born c1897 but in 1841 census was age 30, daughter was registered in 1842 and was registered as Mary Ella so how she came to be Mary Ann and b c 1832 I have no idea.  She was Mary E as informant on the dc.  Oh dear, more confusion as the skeletons clank around the closet!  I have no idea how to find them in 1851 and have done all sorts of fuzzy searches!

Many Thanks!

Angela

Offline carol ann cope

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 March 15 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I know its been 8 years since the last message was posted, but I have just started researching now! This Daniel Justin Langlois certainly has made for fascinating reading, and now I have just had confirmed what I was suspecting.....that he was "living in sin" just around the corner from his legal wife, with my 3x great grandmother Maria Cole (nee Carney)!
Angela, do you have any more information you could let me know on this interesting topic?

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 March 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cousin!

I've sent you an email - I have lots on this mob! Maria Corney may have been the sinful one as she raced off with DJ fairly shortly after her marriage to Henry Cole and birth of their first child. They eventually married in 1881 after Henry had popped his clogs.

I was looking at this conundrum just the other day and still cannot make sense of it - the dates are all wrong for DJ's mother and sister which is what I initially thought, having found the death of his (last legal) wife before he shacked up with Maria.  I think I also have a picture of the family, probably at Maria's death and have identified Thomas Justin and Amy so if you can pinpoint your ancestor we will be doing really well!!!!