Author Topic: Contractor???  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Rinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Contractor???
« on: Thursday 26 February 04 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've recently obtained my Gt. Gt. Grandmothers marriage certificate and it states that her fathers occupation is a contractor? does any one have any ideas as to what he could be? on the 1881 census he is down as being a dealer in gold and silver plate does a contractor have anything to do with this? ???

Thank you

Rin
North Wales: Denbighshire: Williams, Griffiths, Davies, Jones, Speed, Matthias, Hopwood, Pugh, Hughes, Edwards, Rowland, Blower (Bloor)
Flintshire: Blower (Bloor), Williams, Clarke
Staffordshire: Darlington, Stubbs, Biddulph
Cheshire: Stubbs, Wade, Henshaw(Henshall)
Cumberland: Marriner, Tuddenham, Bell, Norman, Crozier
Norfolk: Tuddenham, Rolfe, Rosier

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Contractor???
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 04 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rin,

I looked up various contractor's in the 1800's and found connections to the Railways, Carting, Electricity and the Dairytrade. It appears that being a Contractor is not limited to a particular trade.

If we look at today's contractor's again it not limited to one trade but indicates that the contractor is employed for a short term contract to carry out a piece of work.

What is in common is that contracting may mean working away from home at times.  

I hope this helps !

RootsChat  :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Rinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Contractor???
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 04 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information, it does help, it may explain why he cannot be found on the 1851 census in Longtown!

Thank you

Rin :)
North Wales: Denbighshire: Williams, Griffiths, Davies, Jones, Speed, Matthias, Hopwood, Pugh, Hughes, Edwards, Rowland, Blower (Bloor)
Flintshire: Blower (Bloor), Williams, Clarke
Staffordshire: Darlington, Stubbs, Biddulph
Cheshire: Stubbs, Wade, Henshaw(Henshall)
Cumberland: Marriner, Tuddenham, Bell, Norman, Crozier
Norfolk: Tuddenham, Rolfe, Rosier

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk