Author Topic: Death in WW2 bombing raid  (Read 22058 times)

Offline Carole B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Death in WW2 bombing raid
« on: Friday 19 January 07 17:36 GMT (UK) »
This is my first post here and I am very new to genealogical research...so my aim is to seek advice from those who know the best approach to such things.

I am seeking ANY details at all about my maternal grandmother, but mainly details about her death. The only thing I know about her is her name: Nina Edmed. I don't know where or when she was born.  I was told that she  died during a bombing raid on Dover (Kent) 'some time' during WW2 and that is the sum total of my knowledge of her!!!

For family reasons she had cut herself off from my mother (her only child) and it seems had lied consistently throughout my mothers life about her origins. Mother was refused a copy of her birth certificate, but one which with the exception of the second name and surname fitted my mother's and grandmother's details,  was eventually obtained from Somerset House in the 60's.

I have written to the Registrar at Ramsgate in Kent asking if they can provide a death certificate, but they advised me that many records, both civil and church were destroyed during the raids on Dover. They added that they could find no trace of grandmother's death in the remaining records .

So where can I turn to now? Is there any other way of discovering where and when she died? I thought that perhaps newspapers of the time might carry lists of civilians killed, but would they still have such things (if they ever existed)?

Her life was one of constant subterfuge - I call her 'Naughty Nina' as I feel almost sure that she was an unmarried mother (shock-horror in 1913.... ::)) and subsequently 'lived with' my grandfather for some time. They are both named on mothers birth certificate. But mother was told that he died during WW1.

The story does have many 'twists and turns', but she does seem to have succeeded in taking her secrets to the grave !
RIP August 2010

Nuccia will be carrying on my research it there are any further replies and can be contacted here.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=40505

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Death in WW2 bombing raid
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 January 07 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Welcome to Rootschat.

Have you tried checking the complete death registers for the war years yourself?

Free on Ancestry.co.uk at the minute.

I have actually been through and looked for you and can't see anything. But i may have missed something.

Local newspapers are a good idea, they would have copies at a local library.

You should be able to find a fair few details on your grandfather if he died in world war one. Try http://www.cwgc.org/

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 January 07 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole
Welcome to Rootschat  :D
I've also had a quick squint at the Death Register but couldn't see anything. I can't see a birth for a Nina Edmed on FreeBMD although that isn't complete - was this her "married" or maiden name? I can't see her in 1901 either. What are her details on your mum's birth certificate? Of course she may have died under another name if she subsequently married.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 January 07 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole

Welcome to Rootschat

Have you had a look through the following pages

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth.moore7/index.html

http://www.doverpages.co.uk/dover_names/victims_ww2_dover.htm

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 January 07 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, and I'd like to echo that Warm Welcome to Rootschat, and thank you for such a deliberate question!

The only thing I'd like to add is have you checked out http://www.cwgc.org 'cos they also list civilian dead from WW2?

It's funny isn't how things draw you to a post......I once knew a lovely lady (ex RAF) called Nina - it's not a name you hear nowdays.

Much luck with your search
Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 07 06:54 GMT (UK) »
She doesn't appear on cwgc (there are no female Edmeds at all). 
But there is one male from WW1:
EDMED, WALTER S.
Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry
Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.
Date of Death: 14/04/1917
Service No: 204476
Additional information: Son of Catherine A. Ferguson (formerly Edmed), of 93, Hedley St., South Shields, Co. Durham, and the late Samuel Edmed.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 8.
Memorial: ARRAS MEMORIAL

Is he yours?

If you go through that site and just put in "Civilian", "WW2", and do it by one year at a time, and put in her first initial only and no surname, you will get quite a few to check.  It's easier later in the war, as there are fewer of them;  they won't allow you to search the early years of the war because there are too many.  This way, you can get the broadest possible perspective on her name.  It may not have originally been Nina either;  that could be a diminutive.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Carole B

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 January 07 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I am totally overwhelmed - I just cannot believe the speed with which you wonderful people have responded to what I though would be little more than a waste of time. I have been disappointed at my inability to know where to turn to, and yet here you all are extending possible further hope to me.

I will look at all your suggestions over the weekend and see 'what's what'. Then I'll know (I hope) the best  route to follow.

Would it be allowed (of any use) for me to post a link on this thread to the 'Naughty Nina' story as I know it? It does have many twists and turns, but she (Nina) did such a superb job in covering her tracks that I fear I will never solve the puzzle :'(  and discover her 'hidden millions' (ha ha ha) I'm not serious!!! In fact from what my mother told me, they we're like the proverbial 'church mice'......

BTW - Just as an aside...all (most) of my investigations nowadays have to be conducted via the Internet and E-Mail as I now live in northern Italy (near Lake Como).
RIP August 2010

Nuccia will be carrying on my research it there are any further replies and can be contacted here.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=40505

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 January 07 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Lake Como, very nice ;D

Post whatever links you like Carole.

Do you fancy posting your grandfathers details. We may be able to work from him to her and find something.

Kev. ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 January 07 10:56 GMT (UK) »
The surname Edmed has a one name study researcher registered with the 'Guild of One Name Studies'.

http://www.one-name.org/

The researcher lives in Kent.

'A one-name study is a project researching all occurrences of a surname, as opposed to a particular pedigree (ancestors of one person) or descendancy (descendants of one person or couple). Some "one-namers" may restrict their research geographically, perhaps to one country, but true one-namers collect all occurrences world-wide. The Guild only accepts true one-name studies for registration, although anyone with an interest in one-name studies is welcome to become a member.'

As a member of the Guild researchers

'... must agree to deal with all reply-paid enquiries and emails that you receive relating to your registered surname(s).'

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk